• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Canada has declared war on the tundra.

Vergent

Maybe i missed it but what does this article have to do with climate change?

That's a pretty good question. From my perspective, the answer is that the tundra is a very fragile ecosystem and armored vehicles, even the Light Armored Vehicle (LAV) will tear ruts that may last forever. Specifically as relates to Climate Change, the peaty soil exposed by the vehicle treads is darker than the native mossy/shrubby vegetation so the ruts will warm more and increase the melting of the underlying permafrost.

Here's a photo of the kind of damage even a winter crossing of tundra can cause:

picE8.jpg

PHOTO E8. Aerial photograph of seismic line and overlapping camp–move trail made in winter of 1984, photographed in July 1984. Ruts in tussock tundra subsided into a trough. In 2002, tussocks were growing back, but trail still had only 5% cover of evergreen shrubs, compared to 30% in the surrounding tundra.

Source

Oops! I just looked at a photo of a LAV and saw that it has wheels, not treads like a tank.

That's a pretty good question. From my perspective, the answer is that the tundra is a very fragile ecosystem and armored vehicles, even the Light Armored Vehicle (LAV) will tear ruts that may last forever. Specifically as relates to Climate Change, the peaty soil exposed by the vehicle treads is darker than the native mossy/shrubby vegetation so the ruts will warm more and increase the melting of the underlying permafrost.

Here's a photo of the kind of damage even a winter crossing of tundra can cause:

picE8.jpg

PHOTO E8. Aerial photograph of seismic line and overlapping camp–move trail made in winter of 1984, photographed in July 1984. Ruts in tussock tundra subsided into a trough. In 2002, tussocks were growing back, but trail still had only 5% cover of evergreen shrubs, compared to 30% in the surrounding tundra.

Source

:lmao:

Archived