• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Skywarn Spotter

Parsley

In light of this past storm and subpar snow totals in my area I was wondering if I became a Skywarn Spotter if they would "fire" the Collegeville/Trappe spotters so I can replace them :whistle:

--

All you have to do is attend a 3-hour class to become a spotter? (that's the way it sounds on the NWS website).

In light of this past storm and subpar snow totals in my area I was wondering if I became a Skywarn Spotter if they would "fire" the Collegeville/Trappe spotters so I can replace them :whistle:

--

All you have to do is attend a 3-hour class to become a spotter? (that's the way it sounds on the NWS website).

On the latter -- > Yes...and go back every few years to stay current.

On the former -- > Nope. sad.gif

On the latter -- > Yes...and go back every few years to stay current.

On the former -- > Nope. sad.gif

Interesting.

So, if I'm a Collegeville zipcode, would they use both Collegeville #'s and average them, or could I just use Graterford or even Schwenksville since I'm actually closer to either

of them, compared to downtown Collegeville?

Interesting.

So, if I'm a Collegeville zipcode, would they use both Collegeville #'s and average them, or could I just use Graterford or even Schwenksville since I'm actually closer to either

There's another Royersford spotter (also a snowfall enhancer but not on the order of Trappe or Collegeville) -- sometimes the totals get double listed in bigger storms. Tony would probably know the answer to your question better since that's in his wheelhouse.

The idea of having another Montco skywarn session is a good one...it's been a while I think since the last one.

There's another Royersford spotter (also a snowfall enhancer but not on the order of Trappe or Collegeville) -- sometimes the totals get double listed in bigger storms. Tony would probably know the answer to your question better since that's in his wheelhouse.

The idea of having another Montco skywarn session is a good one...it's been a while I think since the last one.

Cool. Thanks for that info. We'll see if any NWS guys chime in. I'm interested though.

Interesting.

Chances are we would just use one Collegeville (I would use Graterford or Schwenksville). We can enter skywarn id numbers which would be able to separate the reports. BTW there is a skywarn session across the street from our office in 30 minutes if you hurry. ;)

Seriously, there is a SKYWARN link on our home page that will tell you about future training sessions.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/skywarn/index.html

--

you don't have to attend the 3 hr class. With the knowledge you have from this site you would fit in well on the advance one. When i went the first time i just went to the advance class. Its not like they fail you cause you didnt take the beginner class first lol. Maybe thats what happened though with that spotter. He missed the beginner class and just simply put "failed apocalyptically"

"

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Can I choose advanced over basic when signing up?(I see the website has both options).

Were you a spotter in New York? I think normally they want you to have the basic before signing up for the advanced (which there are usually less of), but

its not as if there's a quiz when you walk in the door to see how much you know.

They had one in Lower Providence Township several years ago. They had basic and advance on the same day. keep an eye out on the website

Thanks for the tip! I was going to travel to the one in Delaware County last winter or perhaps 2 winters ago, but it got snowed out. I wasn't available when they had the makeup session, if I recall correctly.

Archived