• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Radar replacement cycle

The National weather service which will be replacing all of the old radars that we use today has released the sechudle for the replacement of each radar to the new WSR-88D Dual Polarization. These New radars will be faster and more accurate then the current radars.

http://www.roc.noaa....911r1_TC_WG.pdf

KCCX State College, PA radar will be replaced April 2-15th 2012.

If you are wondering why they are replacing the radar. 1. The new radars as I said will be faster and 2. The current radars are not very reliable and break down a lot. Here is an example why.

Resized to 97% (was 720 x 960) - Click image to enlarge297223_2192481406386_1077684399_32487385_909311327_n.jpg

This is the current radar in Unionvile on pa route 504. Weather has sure taken a toll on it as it has been there for at least 10-15 years. as we know technology is always changing there for the power of new radars is much better. By the way I took this picture just about a month ago when I was in the area.

The radar pictured above I believe is not an NWS doppler radar. It almost looks like a satellite tower. The NWS radars have a large circular dish that spins around which is covered by a large globe (looks like a large golfball).

Also, the NWS doppler radars are not technically being replaced, they are being upgraded with dual-pol.

The radar pictured above I believe is not an NWS doppler radar. It almost looks like a satellite tower. The NWS radars have a large circular dish that spins around which is covered by a large globe (looks like a large golfball).

Also, the NWS doppler radars are not technically being replaced, they are being upgraded with dual-pol.

Yeah, to keep the inner workings protected from the elements they have big domes on them...but even then you can see damage when debris/high winds strike.

For example, here is what the Reno radar looked like after a claimed 140mph wind gust

krgx-2.jpg

Yeah, to keep the inner workings protected from the elements they have big domes on them...but even then you can see damage when debris/high winds strike.

For example, here is what the Reno radar looked like after a claimed 140mph wind gust

krgx-2.jpg

That is amazing that weather can damage it that much. As for the state college radar. The building next to the tower in the picture does have a sign on it that says Building 1 american tower.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314634_2192480806371_1077684399_32487383_966486609_n.jpg

Not fully sure that it would be related to the weather radar but there would be building 2 up there somewhere. Could defiantly be for satellites.

Archived