• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NCDC Climate Data DCA Snowfall Correction!

weatherjedi

I noticed that the Normal Mean Snowfall for DCA for the NEW 1981 to 2010 was listed on the NWS website as being 14.5 inches. However the actual mean for this year is 15.6 inches (Up from the 71-2000 normal of 15.2). After emailing the NWS crew .... who were extremely promt and corteous I must add, they are starting that there has been a Major QC error resulting in the December blizzard snow being tossed out ! This will be corrected and the NEW Normals will Likely go up near 16 inches. DCA almost got robbed again.

not sure how the DEC 2009 storm being tossed ended up with a skewed FEB norm....I just assumed they smoothed FEB severely and that was the result.....It took 6+ months to QC this and they missed a historic blizzard?...what a joke

yeah feb was the only met winter month that was smoothed i think (have to look again).. assumed they did something with feb 09 at least since it was such an outlier. i guess i didnt do the avg of dec to check if it was right.

i still dont completely understand why they dont smooth rain if they smooth snow. there are big outliers there in some months that throw off the avg quite a bit. i guess not as much as a percentage

Archived