EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
perseid meteor shower 2011

earthlight

Observation from NJ

http://vmo.imo.net/imozhr/obsview/view.php?id=9050

// Personal comments

Strange night. Perseids were 75% of the meteors as everything else hardly showed up. First hour very hazy, then fresh breeze (the first of Aug) cleared it up nicely. Alignment cord used, meteor times recorded to nearest minute. 3 minute break in second period to try and find C/2009 P1 Garradd, failed. I had the wrong position in mind. Weather looks good for tonight, but I've heard that before.

Thank you for starting this thread...I will keep my eye open tonight, but I havent seen anything yet. I might drive up to Ramapo College tonight to watch from the Parking Lot. I wish they would use their observatory more often for the local community.

How is the viewing in the parking lot there? I was thinking of heading to my friends house in the Poconos tomorrow night.

Best viewing is typically between 1 AM and 5 AM in the NE sky.... peak is between Aug 12 and 13.... so its a bit early yet! I cant believe you didnt see my thread on this, John :P

the moon is going to be a major b**ch during the peak.. and so is the weather. if you get up in a few hours around 3am the moon will be setting so you could probably catch some bright ones.

i didn't see your thread..is it in your forum?

by the way there are going to be a few days of ISS fly-bys starting friday..here are the rise times (transit times a few minutes later, no big deal) from my lat/lon.

august 12 03:53:35 am and 10:03:39 pm

august 13 04:32:40 am and 09:05:49 pm

august 14 09:43:51 pm

august 15 08:45:38 pm

august 16 09:24:11 pm

august 17 08:25:40 pm

the iss fly by can be a spectacular sight especially if you have binoculars. you can look up your satellite fly by times here: http://www.spaceweather.com/flybys/

the moon is going to be a major b**ch during the peak.. and so is the weather. if you get up in a few hours around 3am the moon will be setting so you could probably catch some bright ones.

i didn't see your thread..is it in your forum?

Yes :) I need to look at moon rise/set times--- I think we're approaching full moon so the moon should be setting between 2 am and 5 am.

edit-- 12 days! Ugh, that means it will setting close to sunrise when the shower peaks.

Yes :) I need to look at moon rise/set times--- I think we're approaching full moon so the moon should be setting between 2 am and 5 am.

edit-- 12 days! Ugh, that means it will setting close to sunrise when the shower peaks.

yup, that's what I was alluding to. best viewing might be in a few hours at moon set.

Archived