• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Heat Burst(s) This Morning

LocoAko

So I know they're not too big of a deal but we've been getting really cool heat bursts this morning. As of 7AM our temperature was 75F and it soared to 84F, and then we got another and just soared to 93F (although inside the NWC is reading 96F - have to check on the discrepancy). I've never seen anything like this before - and all under overcast skies!

I wonder how this will affect our high temperature forecast today, which is already less than 10F away?

post-28-0-51189300-1309354446.jpg

post-28-0-51466700-1309354462.jpg

post-28-0-88582600-1309354478.gif

I think heat bursts are one of my favorite atmospheric phenomena. In fact I started the wikipedia page on it a few years back.

If I had to wager a guess about how it affects temps through the day...I imagine it will eventually wash out with surrounding temperatures and not affect the daytime high too terribly much. So just because its already getting close to the forecast high in the locations experiencing the heat burst, doesn't mean those areas will exceed their forecast by much. I could be wrong though.

I think heat bursts are one of my favorite atmospheric phenomena. In fact I started the wikipedia page on it a few years back.

If I had to wager a guess about how it affects temps through the day...I imagine it will eventually wash out with surrounding temperatures and not affect the daytime high too terribly much. So just because its already getting close to the forecast high in the locations experiencing the heat burst, doesn't mean those areas will exceed their forecast by much. I could be wrong though.

Cool, thanks. Yeah the Norman mesonet has already "fallen" back to 89F after peaking at 94F and KOUN fell from 97F to 91F. I imagine despite the leveling off that we will probably exceed our forecast with the sun now coming out (though I may eat those words later).

Boundaries galore on the OKC radar though. :popcorn:

Cool, thanks. Yeah the Norman mesonet has already "fallen" back to 89F after peaking at 94F and KOUN fell from 97F to 91F. I imagine despite the leveling off that we will probably exceed our forecast with the sun now coming out (though I may eat those words later).

Boundaries galore on the OKC radar though. :popcorn:

yeah...I mean highs could be exceeded...but I'd guess it'd be more of a widespread synoptic thing...not a result of the heat burst.

Archived