• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Meteorology Schools and Prep

middlesea

I am a teacher and have several high school seniors who are interested in meteorology as a career.

I have two questions (hopefully the pro mets can chime in):

Would taking Advanced Placement Physics or Advanced Placement Environmental Science be helpful.?

What are some schools you would recommend?

Thanks!

I am a teacher and have several high school seniors who are interested in meteorology as a career.

I have two questions (hopefully the pro mets can chime in):

Would taking Advanced Placement Physics or Advanced Placement Environmental Science be helpful.?

What are some schools you would recommend?

Thanks!

The more physics and calculus in high school, the better.

Any additional Math and Physics courses that your students can take would benefit them in a meteorology program. The Environmental Science would be good too, but it's not directly related to the Met major curriculum (perhaps a good step towards a minor though).

There are a lot of good schools not too from NY. Southern NY state, NJ, and Pennsylvania are littered with good meteorology programs.

Yeah, AP Physics and AP Calculus (as well as AP Chem) would be most helpful. I took AP EnvSci in HS and enjoyed it (and wound up minoring in it) but it doesn't contribute to the actual major. No AP classes hurt, though.

As far as schools, I think most of the SUNY schools are good, Penn State, Millersville, Cornell and Rutgers come to mind as the closest schools for your students. Out on Long Island, I think SUNY Stonybrook is the only school that offers Meteorology.

Agree with what others have said. Getting a jump start in advanced mathematics and physics would certainly help as there is a heavy amount of course work in these disciplines. Myself.. I went to SUNY Albany and was very happy with their Atmospheric Science program. I know that Penn State has a big program. A lot of the other SUNY schools have it too. I believe Western Connecticut State University in Danbury (which isn't too far from NYC) also has a good program. I was up there for the tri-state weather conference a couple of times. I'd definitely recommend prospective students visit the department at any individual school and see what it's like.

Yes, AP's are definitely very helpful. I especially recommend AP Calculus for incoming meteorology students, I have found taking a full year of calculus in high school to be a huge advantage for me in college. It really provided a very solid foundation for the higher levels of calculus that I've taken. I've seen how much other freshmen struggled with calculus at Rutgers because they came in with no prior experience and were thrust into a much more fast-paced environment than they would've been in in high school, and they really regretted not taking it in high school. I didn't take AP Physics but that would certainly be helpful as well because there's a lot of physics in meteorology. AP Chemistry would also be extremely helpful: that course alone in high school gave me nine college credits. As others have said, AP Environmental Science doesn't go towards the actual meteorology requirements, but it certainly can't hurt.

As for good meteorology schools around here, for in-state NY residents, there are a number of good SUNY colleges that offer meteorology. SUNY Albany seems to have a great program (I just didn't like the campus too much when I visited there), and SUNY Oswego also seems highly reputable. I strongly considered SUNY Oneonta as well; the program there is small but seems good, I liked the meteorology professors a lot when I visited there. I know one meteorology major at Oneonta and he loves it. I know SUNY Stonybrook also offers meteorology but I don't know anything about it. Of course Cornell is also excellent; far too expensive for me but for in-state residents it would be a lot cheaper. As for out-of-state: I have to say that after just completing my first year here at Rutgers, I really do highly recommend it and really couldn't have asked for anything better; the met program seems great here, I've met a lot of great people, I love the campus, etc etc. If any of your students are considering Rutgers they're more than welcome to message me. Penn State is also great for meteorology; just quite expensive for out-of-state. Millersville is another good option.

As someone else said, I definitely recommend that prospective students visit all of the schools they're considering. I found it to be very helpful to me when making my decision.

Archived