• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
GFS FTW?

The European model is still beating the GFS at Days 5-6 and they're even at Day 8, but in the out periods, the GFS has taken a fairly commanding lead over the last month. That has to make the folks at NCEP pretty happy.

I've noticed the GFS has been a little closer to reality than Euro for a while , esp. when it counts, ie, a major system, or active period. This started around shortly after Christmas or so. Many times the ECMWF would spend 2 or 3 days and finally come around to a more GFS like solution, rather than the other way around.

I've noticed the GFS has been a little closer to reality than Euro for a while , esp. when it counts, ie, a major system, or active period. This started around shortly after Christmas or so. Many times the ECMWF would spend 2 or 3 days and finally come around to a more GFS like solution, rather than the other way around.

I've noticed it anecdotally, as well, even going back to hurricane season. Kinda surprising given their track records prior to July 2010.

Hard to get excited over a regional 10 day verification score that averages 0.5 (and doesn't get above the "useful" threshold of 0.6 very often). The variability is pretty high and I can't believe the difference between the two models is statistically significant (the t-test that is run on the time series and included on the die off curves isn't the best method to use because of the temporally correlated errors, but it does confirm my suspicion that this can't be considered significant by any stretch).

I do appreciate the comments about the anecdotal evidence of GFS improvements seen since last summer's upgrade. BTW, there is a minor upgrade to the GFS/GDAS package next month (most of it is data assimilation related, but there are a few minor fixes that are going to be put into the forecast model to attempt to correct some specific deficiencies that were introduced with last summer's upgrade). There isn't a "major" upgrade scheduled until sometime in early 2012.

Archived