• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Warm Fronts/Cold Fronts

Dark Energy

Some cold fronts come thru dry. Same as warm fronts. What are your thoughts for our region? Any memorable fronts to list??

Because warm fronts take long time periods to come through, especially this time of the year, it would have to be warm fronts.

Can't remember exact dates but those fronts where temps like 40-50 degrees and you get a flash freeze are always pretty interesting. For QPF I'm gonna say cold fronts that stall out or move slowly and you get low pressures riding up the front. I think are warm frontal passages tend to be on the light to moderate QPF side... However we can get pretty wicked severe weather around here when warm fronts are involved

I've experienced plain ol' diurnal airmass thunderstorms (not specifically associated with any front) at times having more precip than a warm or cold front. That said, I would have to say warm fronts are more conducive to precipitation in lieu of overruning usually being a lengthy process... while cold fronts have a trajectory that usually doens't waist time. Nonetheless, squall lines are suspectible to dump a huge amount of rain in a short time, sometimes eclipsing the amount a warm frontal passage grants in a 24-48 hour period. It's difficult to contrast in this sense. Also, there's the feat of occluded and stationary fronts which can tally more precip than a warm or cold front.

The convection with warm fronts are sometimes overlooked for what cold fronts deliver. But I find warm frontal thunderstorms more exciting than cold, usually, from experience, lightning is more prevelant (although mostly cloud-to-cloud) in elevated convection, and they last much longer than cold front tstms, and the sheer along warm fronts can be more potent, especially in the case of right-turning supercells that spin off the boundary. There was a bout with warm frontal convection in 2007 that was memorable to me, producing widespread flooding in the city and the boroughs, and a tornado in August 07 that raked through Brooklyn in the early morning hours. I remember that season was rife with convection, especially several early morning flooding events in the metro-area which suspended and shut down the subways a few times that year.

There's an amazing write-up, along with some great maps and radars on the August 8 '07 on the MCS that rode the warm front and produced the flooding and tornado:

http://www.philip-lutzak.com/weather/Brooklyn%20Tornado%202007-08-08/Brooklyn%20Tornado%202007-08-08%20-%20Page%206%20The%20Resultant%20MCS.htm

Archived