• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
GIS Data

I'm having a hard time locating good solid GIS data files having to do with either weather or climate. Can anyone provide any links to sites with data available for download? I'm pretty much looking for anything and everything at this point as long with the only caveat being I'm looking for mainly North American data.

TIA.

I'm having a hard time locating good solid GIS data files having to do with either weather or climate. Can anyone provide any links to sites with data available for download? I'm pretty much looking for anything and everything at this point as long with the only caveat being I'm looking for mainly North American data.

TIA.

You can find a bunch of severe weather shapefiles from SPC here: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/gis/svrgis/

TIA.

Depends on what you are looking for - NHC has GIS data available each update during the season. It would seem SPC does too.

What are you trying to do? I'm in the GIS field by the way, maybe I can offer ideas/suggestions.

Depends on what you are looking for - NHC has GIS data available each update during the season. It would seem SPC does too.

What are you trying to do? I'm in the GIS field by the way, maybe I can offer ideas/suggestions.

I'm taking my first class dealing with GIS and I must put together a project in order to "answer a question in my field" using GIS analysis. Although I'm getting a degree in Geography, my main field is Environmental Science (my first major, geography was added on after I started to learn about GIS and pretty much loved it right away) so what I wanted to do was analyze how climate change has affected precipitation and temperature based on land cover here in New Mexico.

I can get landcover files quite easily, but I'm mainly looking for any type of temperature/precip shape files. When I made the post I was still contemplating how to pursue the project but I think I've settled in on this although I am still searching around for backup ideas in case this falls through.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up liking the SPC data so I went away from what I was going to do previously and just decided to do an analysis based on the likelyhood of sever weather in NM.

The SPC shape files are great for this, but I ran into a big problem when I was looking at the data for the wind. The data in those files are not every occurrence of high wind but rather just high wind generated by a severe thunderstorms. The main issue is that while all hail and tornado's will occur within thunderstorms, all severe wind will not. In fact our spring is notable for having severe wind events and I feel leaving those events out of my analysis is pretty bad.

I looked for simple text files of all storm reports but I have been unable to find any. What I basically need are files that are like the ones found here:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/#data

That data is the same data found within the SPC shapefiles but in tabular form.

Anyone with any idea where I can access storm report data in this format?

Thanks in advance.

You probably won't find shapefiles of wind reports not associated with the SPC. You would probably have to comb through local storm reports through your local NWS office for wind reports/measurements. You would then have to put that data into an excel sheet with all the necessary information, including the x,y coordinates for each report location, and then make that excel file into a shapefile.

You probably won't find shapefiles of wind reports not associated with the SPC. You would probably have to comb through local storm reports through your local NWS office for wind reports/measurements. You would then have to put that data into an excel sheet with all the necessary information, including the x,y coordinates for each report location, and then make that excel file into a shapefile.

I got in contact with a guy at the NCDC and he sent me a link to a complete database of all the storm reports. It'll be easy to import it and make it into a shape file since all of the reports have lat/long coords. Its pretty much perfect.

:)

Archived