• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day Blizzard of 2003

earthlight

PDII had the weirdest sleet front, I can recall hearing reports of sleet in Philly, Trenton and up into Somerset hunterdon Counties but along the coastal counties of Monmouth and ocean it was all raging snow until about 5:30 am when sleet mixed in during the moderate snows but switch back all snow when heavy. We did eventually go over to all sleet at about 7am when the snow precip lightened up near the end, but it was minimal as I measured 22" freehold and 25" in whiting, Ocean county.

This is also consistent with my recollection here in Holmdel. Though we really never had anything more than snow pellets mixed in at times towards the end. 22.8" was the report in Hazlet right next door. some weird warm nose did shoot up the delaware valley and kept a lot of those areas to 15-20" totals, which was very strange. We were also under a blizzard warning here along the coast as despite the lack of wind elsewhere with the weak surface low, the pressure gradient with the strong high kept solid NE winds going along the coast. Not sure we qualified a blizzard, but we were gusting 30-40 mph thru much of the storm I recall.

2003_0216_18_kdix.gif

Archived