• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Who else is running their own WRF model ?

After much linking and compiling I have got the WRF model running on my computer. I am not doing this to get a "better" answer for my area of interest - all I have is a slower answer than that available from the usual sources. But I have learned a little bit in the process, and it is kind of cool to see your own plots emerge. So I was wondering who else in AmericanWX land is playing around with their own model?

After much linking and compiling I have got the WRF model running on my computer. I am not doing this to get a "better" answer for my area of interest - all I have is a slower answer than that available from the usual sources. But I have learned a little bit in the process, and it is kind of cool to see your own plots emerge. So I was wondering who else in AmericanWX land is playing around with their own model?

AmericanWx has one of our own that I'm running: http://models.americanwx.com

I have another machine at home that I do research simulations on, and also do remote jobs on supercomputers at the Arctic Region Supercomputing Center at University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Pretty soon everyone's grandma and cat will have their own WRF model and meteorology and forecasting will devolve into an Internet weather spaghetti monster composed of thousands of conflicting customized model solutions that are fought about in weenieland and misused by the general public, and lots of dead famous meteorologists will be spinning 4500 RPM in their graves.

Pretty soon everyone's grandma and cat will have their own WRF model and meteorology and forecasting will devolve into an Internet weather spaghetti monster composed of thousands of conflicting customized model solutions that are fought about in weenieland and misused by the general public, and lots of dead famous meteorologists will be spinning 4500 RPM in their graves.

:lmao:

I can imagine that in 10 years, instead of model interpretation being "the thing" that separates 'good' forecasters from mediocre ones, it'll be "how well-customized is your mesoscale model?"

I have another machine at home that I do research simulations on, and also do remote jobs on supercomputers at the Arctic Region Supercomputing Center at University of Alaska Fairbanks.

HAHA--made me laugh. On a side note--I have a good friend at Alaska Fairbanks who just got her M.S. I know she did some work on the clusters there for her climate model.

That's one thing I hadn't thought of - a whole thread of folks arguing, not about their interpretations of the "official" models, but about what their own model shows. Not a pretty or useful picture. Don't expect to see me posting forecasts based on what my basement machine produces! But I do have a much better understanding of the complexity of models, etc than I had before I started messing with this project.

We can have a show called Pimp my WRF--hosted by Randy.

Yo, Yo---we up here in Springfield, MO with WVWXGUY who's running the WRF on his 2007 Dell XPS M1530--

His outputs include SURFACE, 500 MB and 3 SkewT's-- Dallas, TX, Joplin, MO and Bouy 24 just east of HAT.

Archived