• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Graphing Software Called "R"

So, I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like a very good graphing program to use is this one called "R." (You can check it out on this site!)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using this program and if they do, could they help me?

The Powerpoint slides that come with the download "pack" are useful but, hard to understand a lot of the time.

Also, the data that I'm trying to graph is from this website.

Nice coincidence, I'm learning R for environmental statistics and modeling. Its really dense starting out, and learning all of the necessary basic commands takes time, but the learning curve really levels off and it becomes easier as you go along.

This is what my professor gave us. It's probably the best crash course out there

http://cran.r-projec...als/R-intro.pdf

So, I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like a very good graphing program to use is this one called "R." (You can check it out on this site!)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using this program and if they do, could they help me?

The Powerpoint slides that come with the download "pack" are useful but, hard to understand a lot of the time.

Also, the data that I'm trying to graph is from this website.

I use R a lot for my job. It's actually not that great as a graphing tool, but it the most powerful statistical language available. If you have Perl or C++ training, you should be able to pick it up quickly. Do you have any current specific questions.

Nice coincidence, I'm learning R for environmental statistics and modeling. Its really dense starting out, and learning all of the necessary basic commands takes time, but the learning curve really levels off and it becomes easier as you go along.

This is what my professor gave us. It's probably the best crash course out there

http://cran.r-projec...als/R-intro.pdf

BIG thanks! :thumbsup:

I use R a lot for my job. It's actually not that great as a graphing tool, but it the most powerful statistical language available. If you have Perl or C++ training, you should be able to pick it up quickly. Do you have any current specific questions.

Nothing particular. Basically, what I'm trying to do is graph this dataset and make it look nice. - http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/amon.us.long.data

I guess I'm just having trouble getting started with the whole thing.

Nothing particular. Basically, what I'm trying to do is graph this dataset and make it look nice. - http://www.esrl.noaa...on.us.long.data

I guess I'm just having trouble getting started with the whole thing.

I would copy the whole table into excel or any decent spreadsheet program for the physical graph (R can really only give you a simple black and white output). If you wanna manipulate the data to find trends or correlations, I would use R.

Hi - I'm the author of the site. I also have a blog - Climate Charts & Graphs link

The PowerPoint slideshows have embedded videos that walks you through the material step by step. Have you looked at the videos?

Here's a link to plotting of the several climate oscillations, including AMO data.

I'm really surprised that you don't like R's graphing capabilities. I find it very powerful. Here's a link to some of the R based climate charts that I have made.

I have been working on a series of RClimate tools to make it easier for new R users to retrieve and analyze climate data link.

I would copy the whole table into excel or any decent spreadsheet program for the physical graph (R can really only give you a simple black and white output). If you wanna manipulate the data to find trends or correlations, I would use R.

R handles color. Can't imagine where you got that idea. Check out these R charts with color link.

R handles color. Can't imagine where you got that idea. Check out these R charts with color link.

Just a word of caution. Unless you have a lot of experience in computer programming or statistical analysis that involves writing code (so not SPSS), I would be very leery of learning R. The are likely to be other software-statsitical or graphics programs that can do what you need that don't have the high entry costs of R.

I didn't find R to be any more or less difficult than learning any other language. In fact I'd say it is just as if not more intuitive for plotting than say IDL or NCL. The only trouble with R is figuring out which packages you need and where to get them... but you can always ask others for advice on that front.

Archived