• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The RR and HRRR

Thunder Road

I saved an image from one run of the HRRR yesterday that gave everyone 10-20" of additional snow. 15z I believe.

This model nailed the snowfall rates (even though we scoffed at 4"/hr rates) and precip amounts for both rounds of this storm. Tuesday night it was spitting out 0.25-0.50 for Wed morning when the other models, even the NAM, had <0.10.

I've followed it with every storm since the Miller B, and it's been very accurate with each one. I heard a rumor that it's supposed to take over for the RUC soon but I don't know when.

Oh and a 36- or 48-hour extension would be lovely.

post-1820-0-89770100-1296177894.png

The HRRR is godlike with convection in the Plains, and I've been very impressed with it so far this winter too. It seems to be the best-kept secret in short-term forecasting, as very few know about it for some strange reason, even though the output has been publicly available for over a year now.

I saved an image from one run of the HRRR yesterday that gave everyone 10-20" of additional snow. 15z I believe.

This model nailed the snowfall rates (even though we scoffed at 4"/hr rates) and precip amounts for both rounds of this storm. Tuesday night it was spitting out 0.25-0.50 for Wed morning when the other models, even the NAM, had <0.10.

I've followed it with every storm since the Miller B, and it's been very accurate with each one. I heard a rumor that it's supposed to take over for the RUC soon but I don't know when.

Oh and a 36- or 48-hour extension would be lovely.

I've been following the model last winter as well, and it was just recently added into AWIPS over the summer... it has outstanding performance. Although on the January 21 storm, it was way too light with qpf, but did well with temperatures, and thus the rain snow line.

And, yes, Rapid Refresh will be replacing the RUC. It was suppose to take over in 2009, but is now planned for July/August of this year.

Archived