• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mt. Holly increases 12-hr winter storm warning criteria from 4" to 5" for many

RU848789

Just noticed this when I was noodling around on their website. Basically, all the locations in the southern half of the CWA that used to have a 4" WSWarning 12-hr criterion have been upped to 5". I remember posting a few years ago about how odd it was that areas along I-95 south of Trenton had a criterion that was less than the criterion for the Balt/DC area (which is 5"), when our area generally gets more snow. Good move.

http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/WSW%20Change%20Criteria%20for%202014.pdf

Also, I sent a note to the NWS Mt. Holly office the other day, complaining that the snowfall maps and PNS reports are hard to find from the home page and that they should be visible from the home page and they said that they're "developing a Winter Storm webpage that will be included in our menu in the near future." Like the sound of that.

Just noticed this when I was noodling around on their website. Basically, all the locations in the southern half of the CWA that used to have a 4" WSWarning 12-hr criterion have been upped to 5". I remember posting a few years ago about how odd it was that areas along I-95 south of Trenton had a criterion that was less than the criterion for the Balt/DC area (which is 5"), when our area generally gets more snow. Good move.http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/WSW%20Change%20Criteria%20for%202014.pdfAlso, I sent a note to the NWS Mt. Holly office the other day, complaining that the snowfall maps and PNS reports are hard to find from the home page and that they should be visible from the home page and they said that they're "developing a Winter Storm webpage that will be included in our menu in the near future." Like the sound of that.

Good stuff, I've made inquiries as to why the PNS reports were like looking for a needle in a haystack. Ohh well, maybe that's why they don't post here anymore ;)

Just noticed this when I was noodling around on their website. Basically, all the locations in the southern half of the CWA that used to have a 4" WSWarning 12-hr criterion have been upped to 5". I remember posting a few years ago about how odd it was that areas along I-95 south of Trenton had a criterion that was less than the criterion for the Balt/DC area (which is 5"), when our area generally gets more snow. Good move.

http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/WSW%20Change%20Criteria%20for%202014.pdf

:clap:

The PNS and LSR products can be found by clicking on the "text products" icon on the homepage (below the map). This is the same page prior to the homepage change, and all text products can be found here.

Mike - I knew that, thanks. My main point is that it shouldn't be that hard to find. If the NWS doesn't want to put a snowfall map icon on the home page, at least make it accessible in the home page drop downs or have the list of icons near the bottom allow "hovering" to see the active links available by clicking on those icons. In the internet world, unnecessary extra clicks are the enemy.

Personally, when there is snow possible, I don't think there is any single more clicked on link than the snowfall map. There's no reason why it shouldn't be the most prominenty featured link on the home page, i.e., more prominent than the text-link which says, "Storm Total Snow Graphic Available" - have a huge icon/link that says "SNOW MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (just kidding with the !! but I think you get the point) and I'd have it right in the CWA map graphic, so nobody can miss it (most people click there first, I think). Just my two cents as a customer and someone who has designed more than a few portals/websites.

• 2 months later...

First time I believe the new rules made a difference between a warning and advisory, unless I missed something from earlier this season in another part of the area.  Formerly for Eastern Chester and New Castle, 4-8 inches over a 24 hour period would have been warning criteria. 

NEW CASTLE-CECIL-BERKS-WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...READING...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...KENNETT SQUARE334 AM EST MON JAN 26 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 3 PM ESTTUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECTFROM NOON TODAY TO 3 PM EST TUESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOLONGER IN EFFECT.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.

Archived