• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
CTP needs a few more official reporting locations.

Voyager

Having just two locations, Harrisburg and Williamsport, just doesn't cut it in a coverage area as large as State College's. That is representation from only along the Susquehanna River, and there are many different "climate" regions in the CWA from the Laurel Highlands to the eastern coal region. I'd like to see towns such as Pottsville, Bradford, and Johnstown included to give better coverage of climate data and historical references. What I find the most intriguing of all is that their own office isn't an official reporting station for climatic purposes.

Having just two locations, Harrisburg and Williamsport, just doesn't cut it in a coverage area as large as State College's. That is representation from only along the Susquehanna River, and there are many different "climate" regions in the CWA from the Laurel Highlands to the eastern coal region. I'd like to see towns such as Pottsville, Bradford, and Johnstown included to give better coverage of climate data and historical references. What I find the most intriguing of all is that their own office isn't an official reporting station for climatic purposes.

I talked to someone from CTP about this a few months back. Apparently, observations from other areas were not quality controlled by the nws until recent years. So if you look at records online at the PA State Climatologist site, some are from the airports, some are from coop observers in a nearby location. So nothing is "official" unless it's from IPT or MDT.

Have a good one!

Archived