• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Equivalant altitude change from barometric pressure change on a rainy day

I have a problem breathing/sleeping at altitude and so have to limit my travel to places of 2,000m or less. I have been at this current location for several months with no problems. However over the last few weeks the rains and cloudy condition have started and my breathing problems are back.

So want to establish that my altitude limit is 2,000m on sunny months and maybe? 1,950m on rainy months.

So can anyone tell me, what the rough average/ equivalant altitude effect is from the barometric reduction on a rainy day. I have tried to calculate but getting all confused with pa and bars and mm Hg etc. 

Hope thats clear.

You can get rain here, (in the Southwest) under high pressure because the moisture gets trapped in the high and forced up by the heating of the day into clouds. Maybe your issue is the dryness of the mountain air rather than the elevation? Many people get more/less congested from rapid changes in humidity. Dew point differences of 40-70 points are unusual outside the deserts/mountains, but here you can have a dry Summer day where it is 100 degrees but the dew point temperature is 40 degrees, for something like 8% relative humidity, and then the next day it might go to 92 degrees with a dew point temperature of 50, and all of the sudden relative humidity is way up.

This table  https://www.sablesys.com/support/technical-library/barometric-pressure-vs-altitude-table/  may help you.

It shows that at 2000 meters, the atmospheric pressure is down from about 30 inches of mercury to about 24 inches.

Afaik, the lowest pressure during a major hurricane is around 28 inches of mercury and the normal pressure fluctuations with weather are between 29 and 30.5 inches.

So you should be ok healthwise with the pressure changes from the weather. Of course, sleeping and breathing comfort may be affected even if it is not a serious health issue.

I don't think dryness is a problem.

etudiant - using your example at 2,000m atmospheric pressure is down from 30" at sea level to 24".  So for every meter in elevation the pressure reduces by 0.003"

Based on your range of 29-30.5"; it could drop by 1".

So for a 1" drop, the equivalent change in altitide is 333m which puts me at an equivalent 2,333m or about 16% above my actual elevation.

The actual elevation is not important only that the change is significant enough for me to notice and 300m might be. I should find somewhere at 1,700m to suit all seasons.

any sense to this thinking ?

I have only noticed the problem when visiting/living in high altitudes in Ecuador, Columbia and now Mexico. In Ecuador I lived at 3,500m for 8 months and visited the doctor several times when I was there. No health conditions found and recommendation was to move downhill. I was told that some people get used to it, some are fine on arrival, some never do. Since then have tried to stay in the range 1,500-2,000m. I have been here in Puebla, MX, for 6 months with no issues at all. However the evening / night time rains started a few weeks ago (every night) and my night time breathing issues have returned. If the change in pressure is equal to 300m for 1" change in barometric pressure it could explain things.

I am going to pack up and move this week to a place at 1,820m without the evening rains. Hopefully that helps.