• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
net neutrality and weather data

Jim Marusak

I have to ask something that I have to admit I am not too sure about. But with all the talk about the new proposed net neutrality rules (more like anything but neutrality, but that's just my opinion), I have to wonder here for the weather enterprise. 

How would these rules affect the weather community, especially data providers (Unisys, WSI, Allisonhouse, WDT, etc), Universities (model data and analysis data access), even companies that provide weather warnings from the NWS on their cell apps (TWC, Accu-weather, 1Weather, and multiple others)? 

honestly I am thinking at the moment that the data directly from the NWS (and its different centers) shouldn't get put on the backburner (lest it cause major problems with the "WeatherReady Nation" program). But then again, you just never know these days what different ISP's like Comcast, Verizon, and others will do, given that they are starting double and triple tolling people and other content providers to go over their networks (aka netflix). 

so how do you all think this net neutrality debate will play out in the Weather community?

this is cross posted here as well as over on LinkedIn in the AMS group. hope my topic fits here since I am thinking of how it could affect the business side of things, especially data providers, and cell-phone app business. but feel free to move if you see the need to fit.

with that being said, the proposed rules and the weather industry: good or bad?

the lines are open.

Archived