• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hey James Marusak......

Where did you get that cool excel spreadsheet on your twitter that has the raw temp calculations???

I just made it up real quick and used a few normal meteorological assumptions.

for the model temps and the 700/850 hPa heights, I manually input that off the model grid data (i'm sure you can make a sub-routine down downloading it with better programming, as I haven't done programming in ages).

the elevation data is rounded to the nearest 10 meters based on station data (just use what's listed on either texas a+M, weather underground, etc).

and when I do the mix-down calculation, that's based on 9.8 C per Kilometer (dry lapse rate), and the actual distance between where the model based the height out of what the ground elevation is (changing meters to kms after figuring out the column height). just simple met theory and computing, nothing too fancy about it.

and when I have the averages listed, I just averaged the Canadian, NAM, and GFS results.

and as for the program I used for it, I have openoffice/libre office on my pc's (yes I'm cheap). but i'm sure the equations could easily transformed to excel or corel without much of an issue.

as for how I presented that on twitter, it helps to have things like screen capture (print screen) and something like Paint Shop Pro to do the cropping and beautifying/exporting.

sites to get the grid data:

http://leonardo.met.tamu.edu/Weather_Interface/

http://wxcaster.com/models_text.htm

look on bufkit as well, on the "data" tab, you'll see the numbers for heights there

the canadian numbers I extrapolated from the canadian graphical data

and i'm sure there are a few others. but those are the main ones.

Archived