• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Getting into a meteorology related career without a meteorology degree?

Hello,

I graduated with an Economics degree almost 2 years ago and have been working as an analyst for a well known financial company. However, it's not really something I want to do in the long-term. My passion  lies in meteorology... regrettably I did not pursue it as a major. I did take a few meteorology classes as electives, as well as a physics course and low level calc.

Ideally since I already have an economics degree, I'd like to get into energy trading. What would be the best course of action to get into this field? Should I go back to school and get another BS in Meteorology?  Or would it be possible to get into a graduate program with my limited qualifications of taking several lower level meteorology courses? I'd like to keep working so I have steady stream of income, so I don't think going back to school full time would be the best option for me. I was looking into some online meteorology certificates, particularly this one from PSU:

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/weather-forecasting-certificate/overview

Does anyone know anything about these? Would it be useful pursuing this or completely worthless?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice

You may be able to get a BS in Meteorology within 2 years if you have enough of the general education requirements and your other credits transfer over. I went on to get a second Bachelors in Meteorology after getting a BS in mathematics and it only took me 2 years. I did have a couple of physics courses I had to take as the physics I took for my math degree were algebra based instead of calculus based. You could also look in to going straight into a graduate degree program if you are interested. I'm not sure how it would work with your Economics degree but that was an option that I had and I chose not to go that route.

Hello,

I graduated with an Economics degree almost 2 years ago and have been working as an analyst for a well known financial company. However, it's not really something I want to do in the long-term. My passion  lies in meteorology... regrettably I did not pursue it as a major. I did take a few meteorology classes as electives, as well as a physics course and low level calc.

Ideally since I already have an economics degree, I'd like to get into energy trading. What would be the best course of action to get into this field? Should I go back to school and get another BS in Meteorology?  Or would it be possible to get into a graduate program with my limited qualifications of taking several lower level meteorology courses? I'd like to keep working so I have steady stream of income, so I don't think going back to school full time would be the best option for me. I was looking into some online meteorology certificates, particularly this one from PSU:

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/weather-forecasting-certificate/overview

Does anyone know anything about these? Would it be useful pursuing this or completely worthless?

Howdy,

To be 100% fair, breaking into energy trading is extremely tough. Most new hires at this point have at least a graduate degree and some forecasting experience. If you are genuinely interested in pursuing that route, some programs will take a chance on non-traditional majors for grad school, if you have a strong math/science background otherwise (what each program defines as "strong" varies, but I know a guy associated with NOAA HRD who started as a social worker and took two years of night-school math and physics classes to qualify for grad school...so nothing is truly out of the question). As already mentioned, certificates are geared towards broadcasters, and would probably not help you towards your goal. I think a good route would be take upper-level math/physics courses online or through a local community college, and apply for grad school after you've built a stronger transcript. years. For what it's worth, most meteorology graduate students do not pay tuition and receive research/teaching stipends.

Hello,

Archived