• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Study: IPCC sea level rise projections too low

Cheeznado

The results show that global temperature continues to increase in good agreement with the best estimates of the IPCC, especially if we account for the effects of short-term variability due to the El Niño/Southern Oscillation, volcanic activity and solar variability. The rate of sea-level rise of the past few decades, on the other hand, is greater than projected by the IPCC models. This suggests that IPCC sea-level projections for the future may also be biased low.

http://iopscience.io.../044035/article

Their figure of 9 mm/yr under moderate warming scenarios should give those charged with protecting coastal cities cause for alarm. I don't think many see 2.4C as reasonable by 2100 so the 9 mm figure could be taken as a minimum.

The Eastern Seaboard as I understand it saw a SLR of 3 mm/yr during the period when global SLR was only 1.5 mm - if this were to hold true going forward NYC might be expected to face a 1.8 meter rise by 2100 if temperatures only rise to 2.4C above pre-industrial levels.

This can probably be dealt with, but preparations will have to start very soon.

Terry

Water withheld by dams is equivalent to around 10k cubic km of water or approx 25mm SLR (~1in.), a factor I'm not sure has been calculated into historical trends (considering the rate of SLR so far).

On the flipside, BAU 2100 projections include unrealistically high emissions based on a fossil fuel reserve number that is inflated and takes into account very little/no thermodynamic considerations related to its extraction (entropy will undercut our production of such FFs to the extent that they should collectively peak around 2025-2035 regardless of any CO2 policy enforcement). There's a real reason we're baking sand to collect degraded, heavy crude with reckless abandon.

Archived