• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Climate Database Software Help

ChescoWx

I was hoping someone more technically skilled then I could help me out. I have a database of data that I have analyzed and used for my record reports that dates back to 1894 for Chester County. Back in the late 90's I worked at a pharmaceutical ompany and I brought in a programmer to help me extract some sales data on an ongoing basis. He installed a program called TM1 (OLAP) excel bolt on program. At around this same time I had purchased the handwritten obs for Chester County from 1894 to 1948 and was inputting it into an excel spreadsheet - I then merged this with on line NWS data and voila I had a complete database. The programmer did me a favor and put together a "cube" to use with this program - it worked great ever since. Well earlier last year when I converted my machines to Windows 7 I found out it was no longer compatible.

To cut to the chase does anyone know or can recommend a program that can take simple excel data as follows

Year - Month - Day - High - Low - Rain - Snow

And will allow me to generate reports and ranking reports for climate data? Examples - Daily Record highs/lows/precip - Monthly all time records - Yearly records etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

What was the cube created with, and why is it no longer compatible? Windows 7 has the ability to run programs in compatibility mode to emulate previous versions of the OS. Have you tried this? Without knowing more about the software you're using, it's hard to tell whether this would be an option. You can right click -> Properties -> Compatibility on most programs to turn this on...

Also, have you considered creating pivot tables in Excel to create the views you want?

If you want to create more sophisticated reports, you could just use Access if you have it. SQL Server Express is another option (and free), but you'd need to know how to write SQL statements to get much benefit out of it.

Archived