• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
27 years ago today.

LongIslandHurricanes

27 years ago.. Seems like I was only 8 yesterday.. I too got into weather as a result of this storm. We were w/o power for about a week in the Dix Hills area on Long Island.. Irene, at least from my eyes didn't hold a candle to Gloria, but again, that is probably highly dependent on where one lived/experienced..

1985 seems like the dark ages nowadays.. No internet, The weather channel was only 4 years old.. You only had 30 channels on cable, if that.. A lot has changed in 27 years, sadly though, in some ways not for the better....

Gosh, what a great memory for those that loved through it. And thanks for posting that link above--just spent past hour watching serveral of those videos: John Hope, Dr Neil Frank and Lloyd Lindsey Young are are seared into my memory so it was a poignant stroll down memory lane. I anticipated so much more from Irene..and it never matched Gloria. But maybe no storm ever will--that one storm from my my early teens has just earned its own special place. I'm sure Josh would agree. Good job with thread

A couple of things needed to be pointed out:

1) John Hope with the NWSFO New York radar at that time in Rockefeller Center with the extreme ground clutter with the Manhattan skyscrapers.

2) The NHC advisory with 120 mph (105 kt.) sustained winds 35 mi S. of Fire Island. Obviously nowhere near that strong.

Archived