• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Natural Tropospheric Ozone Variations Induced by Lightning Changes

Snow_Miser

I don't necessarily agree with the hypothesis proposed by the authors, but I thought it would be an interesting hypothesis to discuss about.

The hypothesis?

Volcanic aerosols lead to clouds, which in turn leads to more lightning and changes in Tropospheric Ozone which has an impact on the Climate.

http://www.agu.org/p...2JD017723.shtml

This seems, from the abstract, to be very important research pointing in a good direction for future inquiries, and, can be applied hypothetically to any earlier research about lightning.

In the full article, I wonder if they mention Schumann resonances?

I hadn't heard of this phenomenon before last summer, here is a series of simple explanations for anyone interested: Schumann resonances

I believe (unless this is the same paper) there was an study that came out within the past couple of months that attributed increased TStorm activity over the United States with ozone depletion over the united states. Apparently the transport of water vapor into the stratosphere though large scale storm systems was helping to break down ozone. I will try to find the link but I didn't have a chance to red it then (and time is a much higher premium now that school has started back up :( ) but I still want to read it. This one looks interesting too.

In any event, if it is proven there is a link between climate change and ozone depletion then we have a very serious situation, IMO.

I believe (unless this is the same paper) there was an study that came out within the past couple of months that attributed increased TStorm activity over the United States with ozone depletion over the united states. Apparently the transport of water vapor into the stratosphere though large scale storm systems was helping to break down ozone. I will try to find the link but I didn't have a chance to red it then (and time is a much higher premium now that school has started back up :( ) but I still want to read it. This one looks interesting too.

In any event, if it is proven there is a link between climate change and ozone depletion then we have a very serious situation, IMO.

I disagree that if Ozone changes were the driver of climate that we would have a serious situation.

The study talked about tropospheric ozone increasing in response to increased lightning activity, not stratospheric ozone depletion, so while the study you mentioned Is interesting, it has a different mechanism than the tropospheric ozone mechanism.

Archived