• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thermodynamics Problem

H2Otown_WX

I'm having some trouble with a thermodynamics problem which asks what the change in internal energy (dU) of dry air is in an isothermal process where T = 7 deg.C and the change in specific volume is 100 cm^3/g. Here's what I figured out:

From the 1st Law:

dH = dU + dW

where dH is an increment of heat added and dW is the work done, Pd-alpha (alpha representing specific volume).

Since specific heat c = dH/dT, I concluded that dH must be 0 given that dH = c*dT = 0. What is tripping me up is that no pressure was given to calculate dW. From what I read online, if air is treated as an ideal gas, the change in internal energy would be 0 because no heat is flowing into or out of the air during expansion because it is at constant temperature. This wasn't stated anywhere in my book so I just wanted a second opinion.

Yeah lol. That's what I was referring to here: "From what I read online, if air is treated as an ideal gas, the change in internal energy would be 0 because no heat is flowing into or out of the air during expansion because it is at constant temperature."

Well, specifically I meant this:

e9564dfb797704055b699c674592e59e.png

Where you don't need pressure to solve for dW. If

dH = dU + dW

and dH = 0, then

dU = -dU

dU = -nRTln Vb/Va

Maybe not, it's been years and years since I've looked at this stuff!

Archived