Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Equatorial Waves

kylemacr

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago, someone mentioned that they would like to see an FAQ of sorts set up for the equatorial wave diagrams that many of us show on these forums. This past weekend I decided to write up a series of background articles on my website to help give people who aren't familar with equatorial waves a little background, so that they can better understand what is shown on the diagrams.

If you're interested, please take a look: http://www.atmos.alb.../background.php

I wrote these up in a day and there are likely to be errors and missing information. If you find things that are wrong or confusing, please let me know! I will continue to add to it as I think of more ideas, it is very much a work in progress!

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for putting together this tutorial. I'm sure many people will find it enlightening.

I was the one that actually asked for the FAQ, but it was more for a website directory. I know there are lots of cool websites being generated up at UA (like Paul Roundy's, Mike Ventrice's, and yours), but I don't know what types of plots are actually available on each. For example, I know if I want a statistical wave forecast for the next month, I go to Paul's site. If I want to see the GFS forecast chi fields, I go to Mike's. But overall, if there was just some sort of directory for users, it would enhance the overall experience.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for putting together this tutorial. I'm sure many people will find it enlightening.

I was the one that actually asked for the FAQ, but it was more for a website directory. I know there are lots of cool websites being generated up at UA (like Paul Roundy's, Mike Ventrice's, and yours), but I don't know what types of plots are actually available on each. For example, I know if I want a statistical wave forecast for the next month, I go to Paul's site. If I want to see the GFS forecast chi fields, I go to Mike's. But overall, if there was just some sort of directory for users, it would enhance the overall experience.

Thanks,

Adam

This is also a good idea. One problem is we have so many maps and everyone keeps making new ones! It would have to be a very dynamic webpage and we'd have to be really on top of things. I'll float some ideas around the deparment and see if we can work something out. It would be a big help for us too, I find myself going in circles far too often!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This got lost in the tropical thread...

Mike-

Trying to understand the basics of this as an interested amateur-

The OLR minima lags (considerably) the low level convergence maxima of the CCKW?  I'm assuming the low level convergence maxima is considered the 'peak' of the CCKW?  Is the CCKW, looking at the diagram below, in any way like an MCS that forms an MCV in the stratiform region?  (Also thinking of non-tropical origin systems I distinctly remember, like Danny 1997).

2cgk4dv.png

Also, are you suggesting the decay of the MJO triggers Atlantic CCKWs (and thus the utility of tracking MJO phase in the Indian and Pacific Ocean is actually in the fact they'll produce CCKWs)

Lastly, speaking of the Kelvin filter, the OLR maps from the CPC MJO page aren't the best way to track CCKWs, I assume.

Thanks.

Archived