• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Sizzle.. Hot n Dry...a deeper look.

wxhstn74

Excellent writeup as always. I have a feeling its going to end up another hot summer. Oh well, let ma nature turn the tide hard in Fall :)

I especially love this paragraph since it really sums up how annoying UHI is. I was just saying in the heatwave thread..back in the 1960s, as a yearly AVERAGE...low temps at DTW would be some 4-5F COLDER than at DET. Now they are probably 0-1F WARMER.

"With all the heat lately, it is easy to forget the strong cool blasts Southeast Lower Michigan did see in June. As a comparison; Flint's temperatures fell into the 40s for overnight lows ten times during the month and two of those were 42 degrees, ten degrees from freezing! Saginaw saw overnight lows fall into the 40s five times with the lowest; a double 46. Detroit had a lone 49 degree low for the month but still, there were numerous 50s. Take away the heat island effect; and I doubt Detroit would have placed much above the mid teens in the top 20 warmest Junes, like Saginaw. Unfortunately, this micro-climate does affect temperatures (mainly overnight lows) at Detroit and several other major cities...polluting long term records (but don't get me started ;-))."

Archived