• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your Top 10 Strongest Tornadoes Since 1950

We have the MAX radar (Mobile Alabama X-band), which is a 3-cm wavelength, dual-polarization radar we can take out for observational work. The problem we have in northern Alabama is terrain. With all the hills, mountains, and trees, there are only a few places we can actually take the radar to get good data.

More on UAH systems: http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/mips/

Very cool. The only areas that are decent for anything like this would be western Madison, most of Limestone, and parts of Colbert, Lauderdale, Lawrence, and Morgan counties. Basically the basin for the TN River and that's it. There is an ok road network in Madison and Limestone Counties I may add. I occasionally go down there for setups, not bad.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you must agree it is a bit of a stretch to refer to my blog post, 14-months after the fact, as "screaming to the high heavens."

The figure is already known by many. My blog is no more official than the stormtrack pages where it is already mentioned.

I support the freedom of the press. I do not feel bound by some unspoken social protocol in the meteorological world.

My blog is new and has a growing, but small readership. I have accumulated, over many years, a hell of a lot of information that is not freely available on the internet.

I'm a storm fanatic above all else. I love chasing tornadoes, I love talking about tornadoes, I like reading things that are interesting. If people think that means I'm a yellow journalist, or unprofessional, or just an amateur, then what can I do?

I was not referring to your blog post, but to the parties responsible for the observation. Specifically, I was referring to past publicized obs in which the parties involved had to backtrack on what they initially said, they went with the first route I was discussing and it got kind of messy. I think it's best scientifically for those who made the ob to not tout it to the public unless it's ironclad. It had nothing to do with your blog post.

But I'm glad the blog is going well.

Archived