e46ds1x
NWS "New" Model Site. Do you like it?

TNE

NWS "NEW" MODEL SITE  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better than the old site?

• Yes.
    • No.

I have been having a lot of difficulty with the new model site.

1. I am clicking a lot more compared to the old site. Wouldn't it be easier for the user if the data is more direct?

2. Loading Errors when I am using my browser (especially when the model run is initializing):

-The images loaded are for a different model run.

-The images loaded are for a different level/parameter (see example below).

-The image does not load.

Example:

post-7550-0-63532900-1330557718.jpg

Thank you.

Hey LocoAko.Do you know if the NWS is taking action due to this negative feedback? Do you know what was wrong with the old model site?

It's run by NCEP. Specifically Central Operations. Yes we do take action based on feedback. But it's not as simple as one might think to find an issue and fix it. Red tape, testing, etc. They tend to get a bunch of fixes together and implement them all at once instead of pecking away too.

http://mag.ncep.noaa...ter/index.shtml

I don't think anything was wrong with the old site, other than the coding used was outdated. I haven't experienced most of the issues reported on here, but I only use the site occasionally.

The main push to replace it was what I mentioned, they wanted to modernize the programming. Plus, we made every image every cycle on the supercomputer, and it was believed that many weren't ever viewed so we were wasting compute cycles. The idea was to create imagery on the web server itself when queried for one. Then it was there for future users to quickly call up. The problem is, GEMPAK is used to create the imagery which is very resource intensive, so the web server couldn't handle the image creation and serve the images up in a timely manner. So, we went back to automatically creating every image, but on the web server. I'm not sure if there is a plan to re-implement the create-imagery-on-demand architecture, I don't work in that group and I haven't heard any rumors.

More info than you asked for, right!

Archived