• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Is it true...

Nic

If you don't have winter in winter you have winter in spring? Like are there any facts to back it up, or is it just nonsense.

A warm winter can be a predictor of a cold spring, but it's not like it's a 100% correlation. The reasoning is something like this:

The first half of spring is still basically the cold season for much of the country. If you haven't released the cold air reservoir in Canada by the time spring starts, then you still have plenty of time once the calendar changes to spring. So maybe it'll snow in spring. On the other hand, if Canada is void of cold air air once Spring starts, then I'd guess that winter is pretty much over at that point.

It likely has to do with perception. If temps are significantly above normal in winter but then trend even near normal for spring then it will likely 'feel' like it is cold.

Think of it this way. After several days at 25-30F or colder and you get a 55-60F day outside you feel like it is very warm out and may even people with shorts & t-shirts outside. After several days near 50F and you get a 55-60F day outside it just feels like a mild day and you probably see most with jeans and sweater or at least long sleeve shirt. Temperatures many times have a perceptive feeling to them because of weather prior to the current day.

Warm winters can make spring perceptively feel colder than normal.

It must be a combinatation of perception, and maybe some instances where it has been true. I have been looking at past weather data for my location some years snowfall has caught up after being below nornal for much of the winter right at the end. I have also seen where it is not true. But everything seems to try to balance out at one point or another. If I was good at graphing and such maybe I could come up with a correlation value.

Archived