• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weather App Question..

KeenerWx

I was wondering if there are any weather apps out there offer an interface of NWS text products? Like, for instance, I would like to be able to read text products from the NWS and associated counterparts (HPC, SPC, NHC) with ease. However, I haven't really come across such an app.

It would be nice to have something like this in an app form. On the ipad it isn't so bad using the browser. However, on an iphone/smartphone I try to use the browser at a minimum. Some things are just easier in app form.

Also, it would be cool if we could set our phones to receive push notifications on any text product that we would "subscribe" to.

At any rate, this is just something I have been thinking about. If any of you know of apps that may be worth checking out, please post them. Otherwise, maybe I'll have to take a short course in coding so I can figure something out. Even if the demand for such an app really isn't there, it would still be nice to develop this for my own usage.

The likely underutilized (admittedly underwhelming) mobile.weather.gov website has a PIL lookup form about 3/4 of the way down the page. However, this requires you to know the PIL code for the product you want. (Eg. AFDCTP for the forecast discussion from the State College WFO.) If you must have an app, it appears this free app includes a shell for the mobile.weather.gov website: Quick Weather.

Archived