• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 12-13th Call Verification

MotoWeatherman

I don't have access to FootHills map but good call on the prefontal. I never put together a map but made some observations along the way.

Post 939

"That's a very tough call with the front but I do think AVL and the rest of the NC mountains get some frontal snow. Inch or two in AVL with more in the high country. Now with the flow snow I would not be surprised if the high country gets another foot as the moisture is much deeper although the duration should be shorter. "

Post 1003

"High county of NC should get pounded again with flow snow as moisture is very deep. Much of TN could get 1-3" with the wrap. I think a dusting to 1" is very possible north of Atlanta and north of I85. Best time for Georgia looks to be late afternoon and into the night when the best moisture wraps in. To me it looks like FFC has a good handle on the situation. "

Here was Foothills call from a previous post 949 in this thread:

"My rough call. Likely this will come down to nowcasting for western NC mountains after midnight, as its a close call. Theres big bust potential in the mountains and maybe even western Foothills during the pre-dawn Sunday morning event, as either option could occur: precip arrives mainly as snow, and pick up 2 to 5" by early Morning, or the bulk is rain or mix, only ending as snow toward dawn. Eventually the changeover will arrive while some good precip rates are still occuring, before the wrap around and upslope, which still looks impressive. For the areas west of the Apps and south toward northern ATL burbs, some snow showers should easily make it that far south during Sunday afternoon and overnight, with a few spots picking up dustings north of town. More duration snow showers along the NC/GA border counties for possible 1" accumulations , scattered among the dustings that occur.

Upslope potential is high with this, good duration of 36 hours should be easily achievable with high ratios, so I have no doubt parts of Avery and Watauga will get atleast 12" , with 6" -12" also fairly common in the southwest Smokies along the TN/NC border. Several bands of streamers with white out and blizzard conditions at times in the high country.

attachicon.gifsnowcall.jpg"

Yep, great call by Foothills. I never would have thought pre-frontal snow was possible in the SE with the surface low tracking this far north. Kudos to the Canadian model on the far northern track of the sfc. low (also the Euro). Poor grade for the GFS with it teasing us with a Memphis to Norfolk track of the main sfc low - fail.

Archived