• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NPR Reporter on Irene

Why Did I Watch Fourteen Hours Of The Weather Channel? I'm Not Sure.

by Linda Holmes

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/08/29/140032831/why-did-i-watch-fourteen-hours-of-the-weather-channel-im-not-sure

What on earth happened in between? How did the entire day float by and I watched The Weather Channel? I told a friend Sunday night that I had done this, and the answer I got was the obvious one. It's the question you're asking, it's the question I'm asking, it's the question anyone would ask. "Why would you do that?"

{cut}

Nerds. Finally, nothing makes a broadcast quite like a giant nerd. It takes a while watching TWC before you realize that they are such weather nerds that they sometimes tend to see things from the storm's point of view. They talk about the shape of the storm as beautiful, or "great," or "improving," and what they mean is that the storm is thriving. It's along the lines of, "This storm is looking great. Your lawn furniture? Not so much." At first, when they say the storm is getting better, you the viewer assume it means "less fierce." But they actually mean "more efficient, in terms of destruction." This is how you know that they are true nerds, and not just poseurs. CNN anchors would never accidentally say a storm is great because it's so beautifully shaped that it will look great on the radar as it tears a few shingles off the Hot Dog Hut in Atlantic City.

Archived