• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
2011-2012 Preliminary Winter Outlook

Hey guys... I normally post on western but thought I would post this here as well. I'm newer to long range forecasting... so it will be interesting to see how this winter turns out.

I chose my analog years based on these rules:

1) Years which featured at least a cold neutral winter

2) Years which featured a -PDO

3) Years during the +AMO phase

4) Years which were preceded by either a cold neutral/Nina winter

I only used years which fit rule #4 because I found very obvious differences when comparing 1st year Nina's to 2nd/3rd year ones. Once I had my remaining years, I ran through composites of each and compared what I got. There were 2 years (1962 and 1999) which didn't fit the expected pattern at all so I decided it was best to just eliminate those. Here are my remaining analog years:

1950, 1955, 1956, 1961, 2008

Using the above years, I came up with the following monthly outlooks.

DEC:

tempdec1.jpg

JAN:

tempjan1.jpg

FEB:

tempfeb1.jpg

I would love any comments or suggestions

EDIT: Added in temp values and made maps more appealing

I meant why, as speaking of post 1950 vs pre 1950, not sure why I worded it like that.

Honestly I was just keeping things more simple by using post 1950. It may hurt the accuracy, but it made it an easier process. All the years still fell during a +AMO / -PDO phase like we are currently in

Very few people use pre-1950 data...

I know, and I'm not sure why since certain specific parameters match up better in the earlier days without needing too much data, its not like you need all that much to determine what a winter was like over the Lower 48 US in 1925. If I decide to do a winter outlook I'm not going to excude data from the 1895-1925 time period.

Archived