• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
HEAT INDEX & REAL FEEL

how is it figured?....... if a higher temp. is bad,..and a higher humidity is bad,..and a higher dew point is bad, ..then you should be able to add all three factors up and come up w/ a figure , right ???? today ,at about 2pm at stuart fl. the temp was 91*, humidity was 70%, and the dew point was 77 added up it comes to 238....in dallas,at the same time the readings were 102*, 30%, and 66, adding up to 198.......that is 40'' whatevers''difference . also about a 20 % difference....BUT the heat index in stuart was 101 and in dallas it was 111.......how can that be ???

because the heat index isn't calculated by adding the temp, relative humidity, and dewpoint.

This.

The heat index calculation is quite complicated. It depends on either the temperature and dewpoint or the temperature and relative humidity... since dewpoint and relative humidity, at a constant temperature, are interchangeable (i.e. given the temperature and dewpoint, you can calculate RH, and given the temperature and RH, you can calculate the dewpoint).

Using google, you'll easily find the formula for heat index. Real Feel is generally not the same thing. It is a commercialized measure used by many TV stations and companies like Accu-Weather in various forms that include temperature and humidity as heat index does, but may additionally incorporate wind and/or the effects of the sun (solar radiation).

how is it figured?....... if a higher temp. is bad,..and a higher humidity is bad,..and a higher dew point is bad, ..then you should be able to add all three factors up and come up w/ a figure , right ???? today ,at about 2pm at stuart fl. the temp was 91*, humidity was 70%, and the dew point was 77 added up it comes to 238....in dallas,at the same time the readings were 102*, 30%, and 66, adding up to 198.......that is 40'' whatevers''difference . also about a 20 % difference....BUT the heat index in stuart was 101 and in dallas it was 111.......how can that be ???

Adding temp and dewpoint together is not a bad comparison....in your example, Dallas and Stuart would have the same value of 168....both sound miserable.

thanks for your replies .........however for my own entertainment ,and maybe even starting something new ,i will keep watch using the formula of adding the 3 readings to get a figure to compare locations that i communicate with...

so for the ones who replied...todays winners......a tie with both locations at 2:00pm

greenwich,ct. and stuart,fl,exacty the same readings of 90*temp---59%hum.---74*dewpoint......for a total of 223 whatamacallems [need a name]

charlotte,nc.....209

lawrence,ks.....202

oak grove,or....196

Archived