• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2010/2011 Australian TC season competition

Gday guys n girls :)

It is a bit late in the Aussie TC season to be organising something of the sorts, but better late than never... The idea is to have a number of TC categories within which to guess upon, with a PRIZE awarded to the winner of each category. For the first 2 categories, the winner will receive an NAC 2011 weather calendar and a book on TC Tracy. The winner of the 3rd category will receive a book on TC Tracy (I only have 2 spare calendars sorry). They will be posted to you in the States or wherever you happen to reside! Anyone living in Australia can contribute/guess but are not eligible for a prize. Sorry to all the Aussies on here, I want to share Australia with those abroad. See the NAC site here, http://www.northausc....php?f=11&t=529, for the NAC 2011 weather calendar. All of the categories have more than one scenario. This is to try and distinguish between identical/close/similar guesses if the need arises.

Entries received after December 8, midnight Australian CST, will not be included. Changes can be made up until this time. Again, apologies for the lack of time given. Any system that reaches TC status before the closing date will not be included in the 3rd category results. Entrants are asked to use the Australian TC classification. See the detailed post by Josh here, http://www.americanw...tion-2010-2011/, to compare global scales to the one used by Australia. All decisions regarding results made by me are final. Please see the map at the bottom of the page for designated areas of responsibility and towns/locations.

The 3 categories are:

1. Number of classified TC’s within Australian waters, and number of severe TC’s within Australian waters. Please also include what you think will be the lowest pressure achieved by a TC in Australian waters. This will be used to split any same entries and/or used to award a random bonus prize.

2. Date, location and intensity of the first Australian landfalling TC at the time of crossing. Date is for the 24 hour period, starting at midnight Darwin CST. Try and be specific for location. I understand that your Australian geography will be a bit scratchy. Use the towns/locations on the map if you are unsure, ie between Darwin and Pt Stuart.

3. Date and location of the first TC to form within Australian waters. Date and location will be when it reaches TC status. Date is for the 24 hour period, starting at midnight Darwin CST. Location is to be as per the BoM area of responsibility map. Ie. Perth, Darwin or Brisbane. In order to win, closest to the date wins, with location deciding any close calls.

As an example, please state your answers/guesses here using the following format:

- 99 TC’s within Australian waters. 77 severe TC’s within Australian waters. Lowest pressure will be 870hPa

- 22/12/2010. Between Darwin and Pt Stuart. Category 5.

- 18/12/2010. Darwin area.

Organising a competition of this sorts is a first for me so please be patient lol. Please also feel free to ask any questions, get me to clarify things etc etc. :scooter:

Good luck everyone!

post-1680-0-28963500-1291364589.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK... I am utterly mortified at how late I am entering this contest! I owe Alby a big apology! Unfortunately, he posted this exactly as I was leaving for a big overseas trip, etc. etc.-- and I needed to do a little research to answer the questions properly. It was a classic case of "real life" getting in the way of what I really like to do-- which is chat online all day about cyclones. :D

Unfortunately, I see that I am so late that I no longer qualify for the prize-- but I thought I would make my guesses anyway:

1. 20 cyclones, 9 of them severe, with the lowest pressure being 910 mb.

2. First landfalling cyclone on 10 January, in the Kimberley, as a Cat 3. (I am assuming Tasha doesn't count, since it seemed to have degenerated to a Tropical Low as it reached the QLD coast. If it was an official cyclone landfall, then obviously, this entry is moot.)

3. I missed this one, since Tasha already formed. Grrr.

Archived