• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NWS Servers

some of the Souther Region offices are having trouble with forecasts not being updated, Nashville's being yesterday afternoon

All of them all day, not just Southern. I have buddies with their own weather websites that pull NWS data like mine and even in California it wasn't working. And that included AFD's & HWO's, etc.

Maintenance started on Wednesday and was suppose to be done at 7am EST yesterday. Maintenance only took 12 hours too long. Maintenance on what? The server? Do they only have one? Please. Now if they were upgrading infrastructure to give more bandwidth, then I'm good, but they still should have posted a different message stating they were taking longer than they thought.

Whatever's going on is still going on today. Go to weather.gov and type in any US city, and the forecast at a glance and the hourly NDFD curve data isn't available. Also, the observations for the nearest METAR haven't updated since yesterday morning.

NWS New York, NY

Zone Forecast: New York (Manhattan)Mobile Weather Information

Last Update: 432 AM EDT FRI APR 15 2011

The "Forecast At A Glance" icons, hourly weather graph feature, Spanish version, and temperatures in Celsius are temporarily not available for this location for technical reasons. We apologize for any inconvenience. fcst.jpg

Today...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming east this afternoon.

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds

New York City, Central Park

Lat: 40.78 Lon: -73.97 Elev: 144

Last Update on Apr 14, 4:51 am EDT

Not a Current Observation

All of them all day, not just Southern. I have buddies with their own weather websites that pull NWS data like mine and even in California it wasn't working. And that included AFD's & HWO's, etc.

Maintenance started on Wednesday and was suppose to be done at 7am EST yesterday. Maintenance only took 12 hours too long. Maintenance on what? The server? Do they only have one? Please. Now if they were upgrading infrastructure to give more bandwidth, then I'm good, but they still should have posted a different message stating they were taking longer than they thought.

I wouldn't hold your breath. The NWS's server situation has always been a joke, just like a lot of gov agencies.

Whatever's going on is still going on today. Go to weather.gov and type in any US city, and the forecast at a glance and the hourly NDFD curve data isn't available. Also, the observations for the nearest METAR haven't updated since yesterday morning.

NWS New York, NY

Zone Forecast: New York (Manhattan)Mobile Weather Information

Last Update: 432 AM EDT FRI APR 15 2011

The "Forecast At A Glance" icons, hourly weather graph feature, Spanish version, and temperatures in Celsius are temporarily not available for this location for technical reasons. We apologize for any inconvenience. fcst.jpg

Today...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming east this afternoon.

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds

New York City, Central Park

Lat: 40.78 Lon: -73.97 Elev: 144

Last Update on Apr 14, 4:51 am EDT

Not a Current Observation

Looks like yours might be an isolated problem. Working here in the south and also in California. I obviously haven't checked them all but my guess is that it's not the same issue as yesterday.

I wouldn't hold your breath. The NWS's server situation has always been a joke, just like a lot of gov agencies.

They could probably cut down on a significant portion of the server load and bandwidth issues if they made some changes to the ways that products are made available. Not to mention that the NWS has a tonnnnnnnnnn of text products that could easily be compressed down to 10% of their original size, if not converted to binary format (notwithstanding that awful GRIB implementation).

They could probably cut down on a significant portion of the server load and bandwidth issues if they made some changes to the ways that products are made available. Not to mention that the NWS has a tonnnnnnnnnn of text products that could easily be compressed down to 10% of their original size, if not converted to binary format (notwithstanding that awful GRIB implementation).

I agree. I'm not a fan of all the cumbersome graphical displays. The Google point and click is a ridiculous medium to output a basic text product.

In fact, I say we go back to all text output for all our products. Let the tv stations and accuwx etc fight over graphical representations.

I agree. I'm not a fan of all the cumbersome graphical displays. The Google point and click is a ridiculous medium to output a basic text product.

In fact, I say we go back to all text output for all our products. Let the tv stations and accuwx etc fight over graphical representations.

I can't see this getting much better with all of the current and impending budget cuts.

I can't see this getting much better with all of the current and impending budget cuts.

Yeah, it looks like the fed gov will be responsible for fixing our economy over the next few years. Based on the last 10 years, I can't envision our barons of industry stepping up to the plate and actually creating significant new jobs.

Archived