Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn / Garden / Fungus Thread

Guest Patrick

Guest Patrick

When the NYC/PHL region threads were merged last year, we had Tombo's infinite wisdom to count on. I know that made a big difference in the quality of my small piece of turf last year, so I thought some might like to discuss/share/compare current conditions for greening up and moving forward into summer.

I overseeded the lawn last week, been keeping it watered 2x per day when it hasn't rained. The next two weeks are probably the easiest time of the year to successfully germinate grass seed without too much effort (with the exception of autumn). Most people let it dry out at some point & then wonder why it doesn't sprout. :arrowhead:

Been working in the vegetable garden a lot, adding kelp to the soil this year for the heavy feeders like eggplant, tomatoes, and squash.

Already planted carrots, Brussels sprouts, arugula, and peas...waiting for the seeds to germinate. Cauliflower plants are in and look healthy but growing slowly with the cool/cloudy conditions. Will be planting the beans and squash around April 20th, then the warm-weather crops in early May when the soil finally warms up.

Last year grass was growing rapidly in late March here in Villanova, and we had our first cut around April 1st, the earliest I've ever seen it. Big difference this year, grass just greened up last week, hasn't really started growing much yet.

Yeah we're way behind the last couple of years here owing to the late-March -NAO pattern and the cool/cloudy conditions this April....I remember almost all trees were leafed out here by April 15th when I came home for a party last year, no way we'll see that this season. The larger beeches and maples in the nature preserve behind my house have just a few tiny buds, they will need at least three weeks to leaf out, especially with cool weather expected under the cut-off low.

Archived