• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unprecedented Arctic Ozone-Thinning Drifts South

meteorologist

Then why does UAH show stratospheric temperatures to be stable since 1995? Shouldn't they be falling due to carbon emissions blocking heat from being radiated from the troposphere?

Yes, they should have continued to fall since around 2000. There is no natural driver that has modulated the Stratospheric temperature profile upward since that time, nothing's changed actually.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why does UAH show stratospheric temperatures to be stable since 1995? Shouldn't they be falling due to carbon emissions blocking heat from being radiated from the troposphere?

Already answered above. Ozone concentrations are rising slowly and have essentially canceled since 1995. If you read the article I posted it is all explained quite clearly.

I guess you didn't read what you posted. Direct quote from the study you just posted:

"the trends in the winter polar temperature and the NAM index can reasonably be attributed to the radiative cooling of the stratosphere, due possibly to increasing greenhouse gas concentrations and ozone depletion"

It reaffirms exactly what I have said.. trends in stratospheric temperature are due to a combination of CO2 and Ozone.

This is actually a pretty early study (2001) and advances have been made since then. Such as the 2006 study I posted.

Also, this was not posted in Science. This was published in the journal of Climate. The authors are well established mainstream climatologists that have published other articles relating to AGW, including coauthoring articles with RealClimate author Gavin Schmidt.

Winter Polar Temperatures in the North Annular Mode :lol:!!!!

dude read the f**king paper regarding energy transfer via Planetary Waves.

Mechanisms dude...calm down, chill, and read.

Its already been explained by NASA not to be CFC related, and more related to the Solar Minimum I believe.

There was no "arctic ozone hole" until very recently, in times of lower CFC conentration.

The arctic ozone hole is specifically caused this year by the cold stratosphere due to the Niña/+QBO which led to an enhanced polar vortex. Overall, however, the reduction in ozone globally has been due to CFC emissions prior to the Montreal Protocol. Chlorine atoms rip apart O3 in extremely cold temperatures.

Winter Polar Temperatures in the North Annular Mode :lol:!!!!

dude read the f**king paper regarding energy transfer via Planetary Waves.

Mechanisms dude...calm down, chill, and read.

"the trends in the winter polar temperature and the NAM index can reasonably be attributed to the radiative cooling of the stratosphere, due possibly to increasing greenhouse gas concentrations and ozone depletion"

I already did read. Perhaps you should. It says quite clearly that the cooling of the stratosphere is due to BOTH ozone AND GHGs.

Already answered above. Ozone concentrations are rising slowly and have essentially canceled since 1995. If you read the article I posted it is all explained quite clearly.

This makes sense, but it's a bit confusing since we have been talking in this thread about short-term ozone depletion this winter....I wonder if last year's Strong El Niño also had a role in ozone depletion that was enhanced this year by the extreme cold ENSO and +QBO.

Ozone should be recovering some since CFCs were phased out in the late 80s/early 90s.

I already did read. Perhaps you should. It says quite clearly that the cooling of the stratosphere is due to BOTH ozone AND GHGs.

To be fair, it also says that the mechanism of changing planetary waves influencing the stratospheric temperatures, which was theorized as a part of AGW, has not come to pass.

This makes sense, but it's a bit confusing since we have been talking in this thread about short-term ozone depletion this winter....I wonder if last year's Strong El Niño also had a role in ozone depletion that was enhanced this year by the extreme cold ENSO and +QBO.

Ozone should be recovering some since CFCs were phased out in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yes until Bethesda derailed it by talking about long-term stratospheric temperatures and the lack of predicted cooling.. which is of course completely incorrect and another widely propagated skeptic myth. There is no missing cooling of the stratosphere. Stratospheric temperatures can only be accurately modeled including CO2, O3, and volcanoes.

:arrowhead: Dude, do you know what the NAM is? This is not just a Global Stratospheric Cooling Article .

Yes until Bethesda derailed it by talking about long-term stratospheric temperatures and the lack of predicted cooling.. which is of course completely incorrect and another widely propagated skeptic myth. There is no missing cooling of the stratosphere. Stratospheric temperatures can only be accurately modeled including CO2, O3, and volcanoes.

RSS does clearly show the stratosphere has cooled since 1979:

:arrowhead: Dude, do you know what the NAM is? This is not just a Global Stratospheric Cooling Article .

Yes, "Dude"

It says trends in the NAM are related to trends in stratospheric temperatures which are in turn related to CO2 and Ozone. Perhaps zucker with his super awesome reading comprehension from journalism camp can explain to you.

No it doesn't. Please provide quote.

Our results demonstrate that there is no evidence indicating

a decrease of planetary wave activity from the

troposphere into the stratosphere over decadal timescales.

Both E–P flux across the tropopause and planetary

wave amplitudes in the lower stratosphere do not

show significant changes in the past few decades. This

disagrees with the speculation that planetary wave activity

in the stratosphere might have been reduced by

altered climate conditions in the upper troposphere due

to the greenhouse effect.

Yes, "Dude"

It says trends in the NAM are related to trends in stratospheric temperatures which are in turn related to CO2 and Ozone. Perhaps zucker with his super awesome reading comprehension from journalism camp can explain to you.

Journalism camp? I worked as a sportswriter for a local newspaper for four years...although it's mostly writing skills, not reading comprehension, that get fine-tuned...

Yes indeed. Bethesda said there is missing cooling. There isn't. What is your point?

I am just saying that overall the trend supports GHGs (and CFCs) altering stratospheric temperatures, even though the rising levels of ozone have capped it off somewhat. Despite two large volcanoes in 1982 and 1991, the trend has been down since 1979. Some of the plateau in recent years may be due to the fact that the Earth hasn't been warming as fast, which is what Bethesda might be getting at.

Yes.. I read that. That's not what you said. You said that the greenhouse effect alters planetary waves which alters stratospheric temperatures.

What the above says is that the greenhouse effect doesn't affect planetary wave activity in the stratosphere.

See the difference?

Yes.. I read that. That's not what you said. You said that the greenhouse effect alters planetary waves which alters stratospheric temperatures.

What the above says is that the greenhouse effect doesn't effect planetary wave activity in the stratosphere.

See the difference?

huh????

What the f**k? Energy doesn't = temperature? The reason temperatures would be altered would be altered energy concentrations.

I guess AGW is not real then.

Journalism camp? I worked as a sportswriter for a local newspaper for four years...although it's mostly writing skills, not reading comprehension, that get fine-tuned...

I am just saying that overall the trend supports GHGs (and CFCs) altering stratospheric temperatures, even though the rising levels of ozone have capped it off somewhat. Despite two large volcanoes in 1982 and 1991, the trend has been down since 1979. Some of the plateau in recent years may be due to the fact that the Earth hasn't been warming as fast, which is what Bethesda might be getting at.

No, what Bethesda has said is that the stratosphere has not cooled as expected since 1995. Which is just false. There is no expectation of cooling since 1995, since ozone has been recovering.

No, what Bethesda has said is that the stratosphere has not cooled as expected since 1995. Which is just false. There is no expectation of cooling since 1995, since ozone has been recovering.

It hasn't you numbnut, because the Mechanisms you're referencing don't fit into how they've trended

What the above says is that the greenhouse effect doesn't effect planetary wave activity in the stratosphere.

See the difference?

What it really says is that waves that cause interactions between the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere have not been altered, as some theorized they would in conjunction with global warming. I don't know if these planetary waves are supposed to affect stratospheric temperatures, or are an entirely different case...

What it really says is that waves that cause interactions between the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere have not been altered, as some theorized they would in conjunction with global warming. I don't know if these planetary waves are supposed to affect stratospheric temperatures, or are an entirely different case...

I know that.. that's exactly what I just said. It's not what you said originally, which is why I corrected it.

You also replaced the word "speculated" with "theorized" which have very different implications.

The Lastovicka paper (2006) does say "The upper atmosphere is cooling and contracting as a result of rising greenhouse gas concentrations."

This may not be the most accurate statement considering UAH doesn't show a trend in stratospheric temperatures since 1995.

Will now Re-post this

Do you know how transferred energy between the Tropopause & Stratosphere have to do with the NAM Directly?? (as an index)

The NAM involves the QBO & HLB...aka...Polar.

Using 51-yr NCEP–NCAR reanalysis data, we have

studied the interannual and long-term variations of planetary

wave activity, stratospheric cooling, and NAM.

You are confusing "stratospheric cooling" with "changes in the NAM".

:facepalm:

Perhaps zucker can do some sentence mapping of the subjects, direct objects and verbs in this sentence. Apparently you don't understand it. What it says is that the cooling of the stratosphere is due to GHGs and ozone. The cooling of the stratosphere has affected the NAM.

The Lastovicka paper (2006) does say "The upper atmosphere is cooling and contracting as a result of rising greenhouse gas concentrations."

This may not be the most accurate statement considering UAH doesn't show a trend in stratospheric temperatures since 1995.

Most likely it either means long-term, or is speaking in relative terms (IE relative to if GHGs were not increasing).

Archived