• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
experimental non-operational test of proposed watch, warning and advisory displays NWS

I know people don't like the new graphical map that the NWS is testing, but will this work? It doesn't have the legend to go by but still uses the US map with hotspots to take you where you need to go. The data comes from multiple locations and depending on the NWS server, can take a second to load.

http://www.daculaweather.com/national_alerts/severe_alert.php

Thanks to my buddy Curly in Michigan for his awesome programming skills.

I don't like it, for many of the reasons already mentioned. It is just not as informative. A mere glance at today's live map at weather.gov gives me a pretty good idea of what is going on, and where. The beta map seems to be talking about a completely different day.

But I especially don't like the front-and-center dependence on Google. The Weather Service is a government agency upon which the public depends for timely, life-saving information. I for one prefer to minimize dependence on Google -- or on Walmart or McDonalds or Nike or ANY corporation -- for any basic, core function and purpose of government, especially those functions that go to public safety. (This is one reason I am such a Weather Radio fan.) I was already uncomfortable enough with the Weather Service's partnership with Google for point-and-click forecasts. Now Google is to be the star of the show? It's like hearing "This EAS bulletin brought to you by Phizer." Sure, this is America, but do we have to make a black religion of putting a dollar sign on EVERYTHING? What's next? The 82nd Airborne "powered by Xe Services"? Or are we already there?

Well then that is why you like the new format. For me, consolidating all watches into orange and warnings into red just doesn't get it done. The current format is way better in my eyes.

Totally agree. I like watching when the watches and warnings come out and being able to see the different colors and automatically knowing what type of watch, warning, or advisory it is.

I don't like it, for many of the reasons already mentioned. It is just not as informative. A mere glance at today's live map at weather.gov gives me a pretty good idea of what is going on, and where. The beta map seems to be talking about a completely different day.

But I especially don't like the front-and-center dependence on Google. The Weather Service is a government agency upon which the public depends for timely, life-saving information. I for one prefer to minimize dependence on Google -- or on Walmart or McDonalds or Nike or ANY corporation -- for any basic, core function and purpose of government, especially those functions that go to public safety. (This is one reason I am such a Weather Radio fan.) I was already uncomfortable enough with the Weather Service's partnership with Google for point-and-click forecasts. Now Google is to be the star of the show? It's like hearing "This EAS bulletin brought to you by Phizer." Sure, this is America, but do we have to make a black religion of putting a dollar sign on EVERYTHING? What's next? The 82nd Airborne "powered by Xe Services"? Or are we already there?

Well put. The NWS needs to stop trying to "wow" people and just get on with the facts.

And I discovered one reason for the WU upgrade too, they're now using a lot of CSS3 code on their site. Once more browsers come on board, there will be a lot of cool things that can be done with websites that the current version of CSS can't do..

Uggghh...don't tell the NWS this. Serious...it's gotten out of hand. It seems more time is spent on slicing and dicing our products, than time spent improving the science behind our products. Yay boy...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Uggghh...don't tell the NWS this. Serious...it's gotten out of hand. It seems more time is spent on slicing and dicing our products, than time spent improving the science behind our products. Yay boy...just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If the distribution and availability of data were more logical, the rest of the world could go off and make the snazzy presentations. That GRIB2 stuff is absolutely horrific. Even getting simple things like WWAs are a major pain in the rear from a programming perspective.

If the distribution and availability of data were more logical, the rest of the world could go off and make the snazzy presentations. That GRIB2 stuff is absolutely horrific. Even getting simple things like WWAs are a major pain in the rear from a programming perspective.

Ironically, that was the whole point of the GFE grids. We will produce the digital graphical database...and others can slice it up and plate it how they want. Not us. It's become ridiculous really.

Ironically, that was the whole point of the GFE grids. We will produce the digital graphical database...and others can slice it up and plate it how they want. Not us. It's become ridiculous really.

My foremost objection to the new scheme is not the glitz factor; it is the dependence upon private industry to deliver a core function of government. In that, it is ideological. It is political.

Your objection to glitz is well-founded, though. Since this nation is evidently dedicated to the idea of keeping vast swaths of the population stuck on dial-up forever and ever -- since many Weather Service site visitors will NOT have broadband until sometime in the the 29th century -- the Weather Service, of all entities, should put a premium on fast-loading, easy-to-navigate info delivery.

My foremost objection to the new scheme is not the glitz factor; it is the dependence upon private industry to deliver a core function of government. In that, it is ideological. It is political.

Your objection to glitz is well-founded, though. Since this nation is evidently dedicated to the idea of keeping vast swaths of the population stuck on dial-up forever and ever -- since many Weather Service site visitors will NOT have broadband until sometime in the the 29th century -- the Weather Service, of all entities, should put a premium on fast-loading, easy-to-navigate info delivery.

Yeah I agree with your private industry angle too.

Our websites are supposed to be in compliance with Section 508 standards...supposedly to account for the lowest common denominator web browsers, services and disabilities. I doubt they are tho.

Everything the government and NWS does is dependent on private industry. There is probably a lot of software they use that is subcontracted out. I'm sure all of their servers were manufactured by private companies and most of the telecommunications used to make their products available are provided by private companies.

The major difference is that Google is absolutely awful.

Everything the government and NWS does is dependent on private industry. There is probably a lot of software they use that is subcontracted out. I'm sure all of their servers were manufactured by private companies and most of the telecommunications used to make their products available are provided by private companies.

I know that. But I don't want to be confronted with a sponsor's logo ever time I interface with the government. My local police department might well use Motorola radios, but I don't want to see a Motorola ad on the door of their cruisers. It is noise, vulgar beyond measure. I might be forced to worship at the altar of the almighty dollar like everyone else, but not, I pray thee, EVERY minute of every day in every way, even by my federal government. A line needs to be drawn, else corporate America and our government will just go on incestuously intermarrying. Do I need to name the political system that arrangement describes?

The major difference is that Google is absolutely awful.

That is not the major difference to me. For all I know, an in-house NWS map would be just as awful. This creeping privatization just seems to assert itself more brazenly every year. Now every time I visit NWS online, I have to stare at a Google map, as my main gateway? It's getting downright creepy. Even our military capabilities are being parceled out to a thousand unaccountable private entities. This trend will continue without discussion or debate only over my rotting corpse.

Archived