• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
How to get the weather report for specific area on ocean?

Is there a way I can get a weather report for a lat/long that isn't over land? I know someone who is on an ocean expedition and I'd like to see what the weather forecast for that location is. Seeing weather (temps/wind/precip) and/or projected radar maps would be great -

Thanks in advance -

B

You can see all current ocean buoy and ship reports at this site:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov

-- if you are using this for the first time, take note that they update ship reports every hour but it's worth looking every six hours for the four main "synoptic" hours which are 00 GMT, 06 GMT, 12 GMT and 18 GMT (subtract five for current EST).

-- the site allows you to click on an ocean buoy and then get all reports within a specified range for as many hours back as you want to go.

If your interest is current and you want to share the location, I could help you more specifically. There are some national weather services with marine forecasts on their sites but usually these do not extend too far into mid-oceans.

> http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov

> If your interest is current and you want to share the location, I could help you more specifically. There are some national weather services with marine forecasts on their sites but usually these do not extend too far into mid-oceans.

That's a very helpful link, it will be interesting to scope out areas where I'll travel in the future. NOAA also operates the site I use for aviation forecast, aviationweather.gov so I recognized the page format. Unfortunately there don't appear to be any monitoring buoys that are nearby.

Sure, I'd appreciate your help, she's near Silver Bank, maybe 90 statute miles NE of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic - a good lat/long would be (20.75, -69.8) I realize it's not deep isolated ocean, but the people who frequent there indicate that the weather forecast for Puerto Plata doesn't necessarily reflect what is occurring in Silver Bank (I'm also interested in wave action, etc.).

Thanks -

B

Archived