• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Solar Flare

aslkahuna

A M6.6/1N 210 sfu 10Flare occurred in region 1158 at 1738Z. It was accompanied by a strong Castelli U radio burst and followed by Types II and IV sweep bursts with a shock speed of 1005 km/sec. An Earth directed CME was also generated by this event with a transit time of 36-48 hours. Both the radio burst and the CME observation suggest that significant geophysical effects may occur.

Steve

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Weather Canada tracks their Radio Flux at:

1800: 125.7

2000: 106.8

2200: 104

They must have just snagged the flare, or thereabouts.

For some reason, the University of Colorado (http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce/data/tsi_data.htm) is a week late in releasing their TSI data.

It hit a strong negative pulse, (1360.8306) on January 23, and has been increasing ever since.

February 6 puts it at 1361.3282, which is the highest of the year, and one of the 3 highest peaks of current solar cycle.

The sunspots didn't begin increasing until January 8 (71), and 10.7 also increasing from 82 to 90 on January 8.

I guess i haven't watched the TSI for a long time. But, I find it odd that it was responding much earlier than the Sunspot and Radioflux data. Unless Colorado has their dates off... which I would know soon enough.

Anyway, the sun looks lively for a few moments at least.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Weather Canada tracks their Radio Flux at:

1800: 125.7

2000: 106.8

2200: 104

They must have just snagged the flare, or thereabouts.

For some reason, the University of Colorado (http://lasp.colorado...ta/tsi_data.htm) is a week late in releasing their TSI data.

It hit a strong negative pulse, (1360.8306) on January 23, and has been increasing ever since.

February 6 puts it at 1361.3282, which is the highest of the year, and one of the 3 highest peaks of current solar cycle.

The sunspots didn't begin increasing until January 8 (71), and 10.7 also increasing from 82 to 90 on January 8.

I guess i haven't watched the TSI for a long time. But, I find it odd that it was responding much earlier than the Sunspot and Radioflux data. Unless Colorado has their dates off... which I would know soon enough.

Anyway, the sun looks lively for a few moments at least.

There's a QA process for the TSI data, hence the lag. There has been a flurry of plages or big areas of increased brightness with small spots/specks lately, that's probably the reason of the TSI spike. With the birth of the sunspot group 1158, TSI will probably take a dive before it spikes again.

There has been a Sudden Impulse in the Gemag field. The 3hr ap/K indices briefly hit 111/7- respectively before settling down to the current value of 32/4- which is minimal minor storming. The source of the shock is probably the CME from the M6.6 event as SWPC indicated yesterday that the CME speed in the Interplanetary medium was faster than the value I used to compute arrival time. The Bz has turned north so right now no major activity is occurring we will monitor for the next few hours to see if the Bz turns. If necessary, any auroral alert will be posted in the General Weather discussion section.

Steve

Archived