• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official NWS 8 inch rain gauge

I never saw a website which offered the standard 8" rain gauge for sale, so I thought I'd post this... its expensive but this is the way official NWS observers do it:

http://www.novalynx....ain-gauges.html

Who in the world would pay $545 for a non-electronic (correct me if I'm wrong) rain gauge, when I can get a decent one for about 20 bucks?

Who in the world would pay $545 for a non-electronic (correct me if I'm wrong) rain gauge, when I can get a decent one for about 20 bucks?

In a snow locale where measurements may not be made every day, it is likely very useful, since heated gauges will lose precip through evaporation and the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge is likely to overflow with snow (though 10" deep, it only holds 6" of snow before it starts to overflow due to wind effects).

In a snow locale where measurements may not be made every day, it is likely very useful, since heated gauges will lose precip through evaporation and the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge is likely to overflow with snow (though 10" deep, it only holds 6" of snow before it starts to overflow due to wind effects).

The ClearVue rain gauge holds 12", the only drawback is that the opening is too small, but you can get around that by taking the lid off the top. (If it's snow/frozen/mixed precipitation, you're going to want to take the lid off anyway).

The ClearVue rain gauge holds 12", the only drawback is that the opening is too small, but you can get around that by taking the lid off the top. (If it's snow/frozen/mixed precipitation, you're going to want to take the lid off anyway).

I'm not familiar with that gauge... link (preferably with images)?

Oh, and where did you get $545 from? Its listed here http://www.novalynx.com/260-2510.html as being $295 (gauge) + $95 (tripod) = $390.

I clicked on the first one, and saw $545.

$390 is still a ridiculous price for something that you can get for $50.

I can understand paying something like $100 if I want something better, but $390 is ridiculous.

Archived