• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
fantasy planet weather.

K, so I am writing a sci-fi/fantasy story. I want the weather effects to be realistic to real world physics, and climate effects etc.

The planet in question is closer to the sun than earth is. It is generally around 200-250 degrees F. They have some sort of shield over their oceans to keep their boiling oceans from evaporating completely. there is slight perforation in the shields so some of the evaporation makes it up, and does cause some rain, but for the most part they try to keep the water contained because they depend on it even more than humans do.

How realistic would it be for a consistent rainfall to even happen in this climate though? If not what kind of storms would naturally occur if any? Also later in the story one of the other planets they are in war with, they create a way to block out most of their sunlight. enough light still where its not pitch black.. but not generating much heat. How cold would you estimate the planet would get during this period? and how quickly would it drop? and how severe would it storm, and what kind of storms would occur you think? how long would the storms last?

of course I don't expect you to answer every single question in order etc etc, but just giving you an idea of the kind of info I am wanting here. Obviously there are other factors, and you cant know EXACTLY what would happen here, but I want it to be somewhat realistic, so any help would be very appreciated. I also thought some of you would have fun with this question.

-Jon

What is the nature of the "shields"? Are they transparent/translucent, or what color are they? How rigid are they? Are they floating on the ocean's surface, or is there space between the ocean and the "shields"? If there's space, do the "shields" encircle the globe, or are they just built above the oceans?

And why would the planet have an ocean if it was so hot in the first place? Was there a geologically recent change in the climate?

What is the nature of the "shields"? Are they transparent/translucent, or what color are they? How rigid are they? Are they floating on the ocean's surface, or is there space between the ocean and the "shields"? If there's space, do the "shields" encircle the globe, or are they just built above the oceans?

And why would the planet have an ocean if it was so hot in the first place? Was there a geologically recent change in the climate?

you bring up good points. perhaps I should have the water be like a "small" 1000 acre man made body of water. the water was saved there by ancestors from when the planet was different, and they for saw the extreme heat coming forth. it is kept with a shield completely encolsing around it. the shield is not touching the water, but above it like a dome. It is made of a native powerfule stone that is near impossible to break. its transluscent like a cystal, and smooth like an ice rink. they dont requre very much water, but they definitely require it, or they will die. so there is no rain whatsoever possible even because this man made lake its completely enclosed. the boiling heat keeps it pathogen free as well., and it is guarded/protected/maintained with extreme high importance.

you bring up good points. perhaps I should have the water be like a "small" 1000 acre man made body of water. the water was saved there by ancestors from when the planet was different, and they for saw the extreme heat coming forth. it is kept with a shield completely encolsing around it. the shield is not touching the water, but above it like a dome. It is made of a native powerfule stone that is near impossible to break. its transluscent like a cystal, and smooth like an ice rink. they dont requre very much water, but they definitely require it, or they will die. so there is no rain whatsoever possible even because this man made lake its completely enclosed. the boiling heat keeps it pathogen free as well., and it is guarded/protected/maintained with extreme high importance.

You have to have some sort of cooling mechanism.

The high-water-vapor high-temperature environment would only get hotter under a translucent or transparent dome, causing more of the water to boil away to water vapor (increasing the pressure, and via the greenhouse effect, increasing the temperature). The increased pressure in the dome would actually help keep the water liquid at higher temperatures, however, as soon as this superheated water was withdrawn for use (back to "standard" pressure), it would flash boil and evaporate.

There's just no way to sustain any kind of water source like that unless you have a way to "refrigerate" such a huge volume.

You have to have some sort of cooling mechanism.

The high-water-vapor high-temperature environment would only get hotter under a translucent or transparent dome, causing more of the water to boil away to water vapor (increasing the pressure, and via the greenhouse effect, increasing the temperature). The increased pressure in the dome would actually help keep the water liquid at higher temperatures, however, as soon as this superheated water was withdrawn for use (back to "standard" pressure), it would flash boil and evaporate.

There's just no way to sustain any kind of water source like that unless you have a way to "refrigerate" such a huge volume.

what would you reccomend? I was mainly thinking they could have used the crystal stones that are native to their world and mixed it with other minerals. making a white opaque stone that perfectly insulates and keeps the water around around less than or equal too 100F.

or would it make moire sense to have something that encircles the globe?

also how would you say the weather would be? would there be any kind of storms of any kind?

what would you reccomend? I was mainly thinking they could have used the crystal stones that are native to their world and mixed it with other minerals. making a white opaque stone that perfectly insulates and keeps the water around around less than or equal too 100F.

or would it make moire sense to have something that encircles the globe?

also how would you say the weather would be? would there be any kind of storms of any kind?

You'd either need a huge refrigeration system under the dome where people live as well (could be solar powered?), or you'd need to engineer the atmosphere (and surface) of the planet to reduce greenhouse gases and increase albedo enough to bring the average temperature of the planet down to a manageable level.

In the former scenario, the only "weather" would be under the dome, and would probably be controlled to just be constant (like indoor climate control in homes). The rest of the planet would be a baked, rocky desert.

In the latter scenario, it would look more like Earth. Probably more like ancient Earth with much warmer average temperatures, tropical warmth in the poles, and less of an equator-to-pole temperature gradient (much weaker mid-latitude cyclones). Most weather would then be convective in nature.

Ok, so I'm thinkin the rocky deserty planet. The inhabitants have evolved anatomically(sp?) To live in this hot dry climate. What I am wondering nw iks if you take this planet, and somehow the sn became almost non existent...what kind of drop in temperature would we have you thin.k? How manyh degrees per day? What kind of storms would come from this? Any other effects? Etc?

Ok, so I'm thinkin the rocky deserty planet. The inhabitants have evolved anatomically(sp?) To live in this hot dry climate. What I am wondering nw iks if you take this planet, and somehow the sn became almost non existent...what kind of drop in temperature would we have you thin.k? How manyh degrees per day? What kind of storms would come from this? Any other effects? Etc?

I need to make an addendum.

Although it would be a rocky, dry planet at the surface, since we're assuming the planet had a lot of water to begin with, there would be clouds... high, high above the surface. Probably covering the entire planet. In fact, it might look a lot like Venus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus#Troposphere

Man this is very very very good info thank you. The only other thing I really need is the effects of the dramatic climate change. Based off my extremely limited knowledge of weather and what hou hae told me so far is the extrfeme cold coming in so hard would create a massive storm. The clouds first creatin a massive downpour followed by many cyclones,and lightning supercells, then leading into a blizzard then an ice storm then finally j nothing but a snow desert.

This is how I picture it in my head. Am I wrong? If so what would happen? How long would tghe storm last? How epic would it be?

Btw the act I am thinking would probaly be a small man made black hole to suck away the suns rays.

Man this is very very very good info thank you. The only other thing I really need is the effects of the dramatic climate change. Based off my extremely limited knowledge of weather and what hou hae told me so far is the extrfeme cold coming in so hard would create a massive storm. The clouds first creatin a massive downpour followed by many cyclones,and lightning supercells, then leading into a blizzard then an ice storm then finally j nothing but a snow desert.

This is how I picture it in my head. Am I wrong? If so what would happen? How long would tghe storm last? How epic would it be?

Btw the act I am thinking would probaly be a small man made black hole to suck away the suns rays.

sounds like the plot of the day after tomorrow lol

sounds like the plot of the day after tomorrow lol

Ha. I didn't even think about that. Well the storm was just an afterthought. The main point is the fact that this race kind of has a photosynthesis built into their system. Lack of sun makes them weak. I honestly just now started thinking about weather effects, and decided to look up a good weather forum and ask some weather experts what would probably happen.

If your population had the level of technology required to undertake these massive geoengineering projects, including black hole manufacturing, wouldn't they be better off packing up and looking for another planet?

Just saying.whistle.gif

Idonno. There would probably be a mass rainfall/flood, yes, and then a freeze, along with chaotic winds and the like. No idea how long it would last/take (that's dependent on so many different things that I can't even begin to imagine), but yes, it would eventually end up a frozen world. Indeed, eventually even the atmosphere would freeze and deposit on the surface or be lost to space, I would think.

If your population had the level of technology required to undertake these massive geoengineering projects, including black hole manufacturing, wouldn't they be better off packing up and looking for another planet?

Just saying.whistle.gif

I can understand your point without you knowing the fullpremise/ plotline. I was going to explain it early in the topic, but I didn't wanna get all off topic. The planet in question has technology as far as the water containment, but that's mainly because they needed it,and its a stone that is a native element on their world. The eisigs are the ones who have the technology for taking away the sunlight. The people on this planet in question do not have the technology to travel to the nearest habitable planet. I can explain the full story if you want, but ya.

Archived