• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Radiational Cooling Effects

Absolute Humidity

I just noticed my area temps tank 8 degrees in the last 2 hrs from 32 to 23.8. Other stations outside of town are in the teens. Can anyone chime in and discuss if radiational cooling has any effect up the colome to 850mb? Not expecting much from this next event, but can rad cooling bring a better front end snow?

I just noticed my area temps tank 8 degrees in the last 2 hrs from 32 to 23.8. Other stations outside of town are in the teens. Can anyone chime in and discuss if radiational cooling has any effect up the colome to 850mb? Not expecting much from this next event, but can rad cooling bring a better front end snow?

If anything, it will make ZR more likely. The radiational cooling only affects the boundary layer (known as a nocturnal inversion), which is well below 850mb in the winter, meaning the low levels may be warm, but the near surface will be cold.

If anything, it will make ZR more likely. The radiational cooling only affects the boundary layer (known as a nocturnal inversion), which is well below 850mb in the winter, mean the low levels may be warm, but the near surface will be cold.

to further elaborate on adam's pt, you can see here on the newest ruc 3z at this present time, the 850s are already above 0 and the 925mb temp will soon follow. You can see on this 850 map the sw wind is starting to kick in which is death for snow

RUC_255_2011020503_F00_TMPC_850_MB.png

i found this on a site to demonstrate what adam was saying but ground inversion, this is what it looks like on a sounding, and probably is depicted pretty well in this situation.

Yeah, that's a really severe example, though. Most of the time there is not as sharp of an angle on the temperature trace.

Archived