• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Relative Model Performance in Predicting Snowfall, Especially "Major" Storms?

I've seen some folks on these boards post verification scores presumably from NCEP for the various deterministic models out there and I recall that the Euro always seems to have the best scores, but from what I remember (couldn't find any of these verification scores here - I'm remembering quite a few discussions on the topic from Eastern, but don't seem to have access to that any more), these were "general" verification scores on things like predictions of temperatures and pressures (and maybe even precip) at various points out in the future for each model. I don't ever recall seeing any comparisons of the major global models in the long/medium/short range with respect to performance in predicting snowfall, both with regard to depth and location (or comparisons that would include the short-term models and the global models in the short-term range) and I'm sure this would be especially useful and relevant for east coast snowstorms. Since a huge number of posters on this board seem to be most interested in snow, I would think having some sort of relative comparison verification scores for the major models, over time, would be a really useful thing to have and would be better than the usual anecdotal comments one sees, like, "the NAM is always overdone in the short range" or "the Euro rules" or "the GFS always has a S/E bias with snowstorms." Does any of this exist and I just missed it or does it not exist? Anyone know?

Archived