• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
8 year Anniversary of 2002 Ice Storm

H2Otown_WX

On this day 8 years ago, much of the hilly terrain across SNE was hit hard by an ice storm. I know this storm often gets over-shadowed by the December 2008 storm, but this was a nasty little storm in its own regard. Here is the description from NCDC: A major ice storm caused significant damage in north central Connecticut. There were numerous reports of downed trees, limbs, and power lines as a result of one-half to three-quarters of an inch of icing. An estimated 100,000 customers in Hartford and Tolland Counties were left without power because of the storm. Damage was especially severe in western Hartford County, where entire communities such as Hartland, Granby, Simsbury, and Canton were left without power for as much as five days. Sections of Canton were completely isolated due to downed trees and wires, according to local police. In Burlington, widespread damage was reported. Trees crashed down on cars, punched through picture windows, ripped off electrical wires, stripped gutters, and shattered chimneys. Downed trees blocked roads in Bristol. The damage from the ice storm was compounded by high winds one day later. Gusts as high as 50 mph hampered the cleanup effort, downing more trees and branches which were weighted down by ice. Total damage from the storm in Hartford County was estimated at two million dollars. The damage was less severe in neighboring Tolland County, but there were still many reports of downed trees, limbs, and wires countywide. Total damage was estimated at half a million dollars.

Obviously, this storm affected Litchfield County as well. I believe I lost power for 4 days or so and the house became so cold we had to leave for a night. I can still remember making hot chocolate over the fire place. The extent of the ice was not even that bad where I was but the ice damage to my north was so bad that CL&P and crews from NY and MA had to be trucked in to make repairs and so we were the last ones attended to being the furthest south with the least amount of ice. Anyone else have any memories from this storm?

On this day 8 years ago, much of the hilly terrain across SNE was hit hard by an ice storm. I know this storm often gets over-shadowed by the December 2008 storm, but this was a nasty little storm in its own regard. Here is the description from NCDC: A major ice storm caused significant damage in north central Connecticut. There were numerous reports of downed trees, limbs, and power lines as a result of one-half to three-quarters of an inch of icing. An estimated 100,000 customers in Hartford and Tolland Counties were left without power because of the storm. Damage was especially severe in western Hartford County, where entire communities such as Hartland, Granby, Simsbury, and Canton were left without power for as much as five days. Sections of Canton were completely isolated due to downed trees and wires, according to local police. In Burlington, widespread damage was reported. Trees crashed down on cars, punched through picture windows, ripped off electrical wires, stripped gutters, and shattered chimneys. Downed trees blocked roads in Bristol. The damage from the ice storm was compounded by high winds one day later. Gusts as high as 50 mph hampered the cleanup effort, downing more trees and branches which were weighted down by ice. Total damage from the storm in Hartford County was estimated at two million dollars. The damage was less severe in neighboring Tolland County, but there were still many reports of downed trees, limbs, and wires countywide. Total damage was estimated at half a million dollars.

Obviously, this storm affected Litchfield County as well. I believe I lost power for 4 days or so and the house became so cold we had to leave for a night. I can still remember making hot chocolate over the fire place. The extent of the ice was not even that bad where I was but the ice damage to my north was so bad that CL&P and crews from NY and MA had to be trucked in to make repairs and so we were the last ones attended to being the furthest south with the least amount of ice. Anyone else have any memories from this storm?

I was 12 years old or so when this happened, and I still vividly remember going to m y grandmothers house (she somehow still had power), standing on the front door with a couple of my cousins and watching a transformer blow. I still remember the sound, it sounded like one of those jelly balls on a playground hitting the pavement, but imagine one 40 feet wide dropped from 1000 feet. It was pretty intense, and some firefighters were standing near it and all dove on the ground and backed up the trucks.

I was 12 years old or so when this happened, and I still vividly remember going to m y grandmothers house (she somehow still had power), standing on the front door with a couple of my cousins and watching a transformer blow. I still remember the sound, it sounded like one of those jelly balls on a playground hitting the pavement, but imagine one 40 feet wide dropped from 1000 feet. It was pretty intense, and some firefighters were standing near it and all dove on the ground and backed up the trucks.

Wow, that must have scared the hell out of you. What town was this in?

Archived