• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Frigid Weather Not For TheBirds!

MrsH

With the holiday I've been pretty busy so I don't know if anyone has addressed this or not.  I am in Washington County.  This frigid weather is taking its toll on wildlife especially the birds.   Wild birds are seeking refuge and warmth anywhere they can find it.  I have so many Starlings hunkering down in my chicken coop that it brings to mind (if you're old enough) Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds".  Likewise my kennel building and our barns.  Sadly, we're finding dead and frozen Mourning Doves and Starlings in the barns.  I am having to fill the bird feeders here three times a day.  I am 72 years old and have NEVER seen anything like this, nor have I heard anything about it on the news stations.  Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Interesting.   I live in Central Ohio and late afternoon on the 23rd, after we had received 4.5" of snow, the temp was -8 and the windchill was in the stupid range.   My wife was in the kitchen and I heard her scream.   She said she opened the basement door and there was a 'big bird' in the stairwell.    After getting the nerve to investigate, (yea i admit I'm not a fan of birds, bats, etc.), I went down in the basement and there was like 8 of them perched on the water pipes and flying around.   They weren't small birds either.   We have glass block basement windows but thankfully I can open a small section in each window.    We blocked all the light in the basement except for one window and managed to scare and shoo them out one at a time.   I've lived in this house for nearly 30 years and we've never had a bird in the house.   I have no idea how they got in....which is the worst part of this.   Best I can assume is they came in through the chimney and possibly in opening somewhere inside the wall or chimney itself.   However they got in, it was pure desperation and survival on their part.