• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Any Hams here

TimChgo9

Just wondering how many members of the site are also licensed for Amateur Radio?  I have Technicians license, working on my General.  Also wondering, for those that are, if they use the radios for weather spotting/exchanging weather info during storm situations.  We have a couple of 2m and 70cm repeaters in the Chicago area, that operate as weather info/storm spotter channels during severe weather.  There is also a  440Mhz GMRS service for the same purpose.  Just curious as to who might be a "Ham" around here. 

N9NAY - Waterman, IL

I have never participated in a weather net, but I will listen to the local 2m repeater (WA9CJN - DeKalb) during storms. There's one or two guys who do some very limited regional storm chasing. Mostly localized situational stuff (tree down, water on road, etc)

I listen to W9DUP (DuPage Amateur Radio Club) and W9YRC (York Amateur Radio Club)  for the same reason.  There are a couple of guys who do local storm reports. I have to look up local Skywarn frequencies after work.   Don't have any of those for some reason.  I am kind of suprised there isn't an organized weather spotting/storm spotting frequency around here.  (Chicago area)  

4 hours ago, TimChgo9 said:

Just wondering how many members of the site are also licensed for Amateur Radio?  I have Technicians license, working on my General.  Also wondering, for those that are, if they use the radios for weather spotting/exchanging weather info during storm situations.  We have a couple of 2m and 70cm repeaters in the Chicago area, that operate as weather info/storm spotter channels during severe weather.  There is also a  440Mhz GMRS service for the same purpose.  Just curious as to who might be a "Ham" around here. 

I'm studying the new Technicians questions and plan on taking the test in early fall. I'm doing it for this very reason you mentioned; weather spotter/Skywarn. I would love to hear if others here are involved and what their experiences are.

I have been licensed for 2 years now.  Working on my General, hopefully taking that sometime this summer.  

My experiences have so far been pretty good.  It's  great hobby, lots of friendly folks willing to help out.  I currently have an Icom IC746Pro as my base station, and an AnyTone AT-D868UV portable. I recenlty bought a TYT Quad band mobile that needs to be installed in my car.  I love the hobby, been fascinated with radio since I was a kid.  The downside to the hobby, unless you buy the "cheap Chinese radios" (which are pretty good, to be honest) the prices on radios, even used ones, can be quite high.  I haven't joined a club yet, mainly due to work schedule issues, but, I suggest finding one, joining and getting involved.  Also, most local repeaters are open, and apps like RepeaterBook and Echo Link for your phone are great additions to have.  Repeater Book has a website and lists repeaters by state.  I have several 2m and 70cm, and even one 6m repeater in the area here.   As a Technician, using 6m can be frustrating..  Due to the higher solar flux as of late, "Sparodic E" has been allowing the band to be open across a big chunk of the country.  Welcome to the hobby. It's a lot of fun.  Check your local Ham clubs for times and locations of any area "Hamfests" (flea markets) great places to meet people, and learn about things. Also, every May, there is the "Hamvention" in Xenia, OH.  I was there about 2 weeks ago for it.  It was a good time.  

It does come in handy for the weather.  I do know during Hurricane season, there is plenty of operations on the 10, 20, and 40m bands when a storm is threatening.  you might find some on 6m, but the lower bands seem to have more of it.  There is also some activity during severe outbreaks, and, if I don't miss my guess some NWS offices communicate via the Amateur bands during severe weather events as well.  

Archived