• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2016

bowtie`

After dinner I noticed that the Sun might just be able to pop out underneath some build-ups before sunset so I headed out to the retention pond just in case.

Good thing I did, here was the local sunset...

post-671-0-22228000-1468378659_thumb.jpg

A tad bit later I really liked how the virga/rain showed the purple to pink to orange color from left to right. Made it worth being out there.

post-671-0-87349600-1468378667_thumb.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, bowtie` said:

I wonder why it is quoting me when I only want to make a post?

This is really freaky. I wonder if I can get it to work. Here goes nothing.

An afternoon shot of some clouds.

7V2A0479.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The streak of still evenings with a smattering of clouds is still on-going. I wonder when it will end? Not tonight!

Pre-sunset clouds. First image is shot with the 16-35mm zoom.

7V2A2143.JPG

Then I switched to the 24-70mm zoom because I thought that I would only be shooting the clouds that the Sun is in above. I ended up shooting at 28mm for this image.

7V2A2195.JPG

Sat goodnight Gracie. This one was shot at 24mm. I could have left the 16-35mm on and would have been fine. But that is OK. The 24-70 has a different look to it as it rolls off the reds a bit different from the 16-35. So it is nice looking different looking images.

7V2A2231.JPG

Fell asleep processing these last night from yesterday. So they are a tad late. Was an interesting day in the atmosphere. It rained!

Pulling in the driveway home coming from work, the rain tapered off and the Sun came out. Double rainbow time!

7V2A2268.JPG

Best color of the day was pre-sunset when I arrived at the retention pond.

7V2A2303.JPG

Nice design post sunset...

7V2A2341.JPG

Today I wondered if I could make a tree shadow look like a cloud shadow. The answer is no. But I had a fun time proving myself wrong.

7V2A2365.JPG

About the best I could do with the sunset was to make another coppertop battery shot...

7V2A2391.JPG

What a great stretch of sunset/clouds weather. Been a great eight straight days of photo opportunities. And tonight was no exception.

Somewhere around local sunset. Kind of hard to tell with a cloud right on the horizon but it looks close.

7V2A2469.JPG

This is what I call a jet engine sunset. Cool air in from the south. Ignition in the center. And hot gases training out to the north.

7V2A2510.JPG

Last image of the night. A great *turn out the lights* photo. It is all about the red flash.

7V2A2519.JPG

The streak continues. If I had to use one word to describe the sunset this evening it would be, sparse.

Local Sunset...

7V2A2562.JPG

Mother Nature was nice enough to give me an arrow showing me where all the heat and humidity was coming from, the south.

7V2A2606.JPG

I might be stretching here, trying to keep the streak alive. But it is what it is.

I did not think there would be any clouds so I read an extra chapter in my book while at dinner. When I got out I saw that those lone floaters out in Illinois were just visible right when the sun went down. So I hustled down to the pond and got this image. It originally was shot in portrait mode but I cropped it to landscape mode as there was too much negative space going on in the vertical mode.

7V2A2907.JPG

The streak is over. While I was at the pond two nights ago, operator error made a hash at all attempts and there is nothing to show for the effort. I did make it back last night so maybe I will start another mini-streak.

The only clouds were looking south when I got to the pond.

7V2A3015.JPG

There were zero clouds for the sunset and post sunset looking west. So I played around with the copper color and reflection images with the 100mm. Too bad there was just a hint at a breeze.

7V2A3092.JPG

From the visible satellite, I thought that tonight had a chance at being special so I was out at the pond early to be ready and in position.

After local sunset, some cloud talons were coming at me...

7V2A3443.JPG

Next, I thought the orange flash was something  really nice...

7V2A3479.JPG

Little did I know just what the atmosphere had in mind for me next. The red flash had the kitchen sink thrown in with it. There was yellow, orange, red, pink, blue and even violet in this last image. Too bad the breeze was ruffling the water surface just a tad. That is the only thing that degraded it down from perfect. Still a rather jaw-dropping post sunset.

7V2A3495.JPG

This evening when I got to the pond...

7V2A3717.JPG

THe best color cloud came from a different direction. I just happened to look over my shoulder to the Northeast and saw this cloud over there. Quickly moved the camera over the berm and fired off a couple of images.

7V2A3765.JPG

After about an inch of rain today, I kind of hoped the Sun might peak out around sunset.

I got lucky...

7V2A3920.JPG

The colors in the post sunset image looks kind of funny. I think I got the clouds right but with 95% of the sky bottom of clouds blue, it turned all my whites to blue on the building and signs. Oh well, it looks like what it looks like.

7V2A3970.JPG

Looking at the radar and vis satellite I figured the sunset would be weak. But leaving dinner I saw a small opening on the horizon so I went out to the pond *just in case*.

When the Sun hit the opening, nothing special...

7V2A4055.JPG

To my surprise, the yellow flash started getting rather interesting...

7V2A4185.JPG

I grabbed the 100mm to get a close up of some of the clouds...

7V2A4178.JPG

I had stayed up by the car because it was constantly sprinkling and with the recent rains, down by the water would have been a mud pit and I did not feel with fighting it. But by this point I was rather upset that I did not get to try some reflection shots. In the end though I still got some nice color and designs and while I wished I could have done more I am pleased with what I got.

7V2A4237.JPG

While the red flash was not quite as vivid it was rather broad across the sky. A nice way to end the evening...

7V2A4303.JPG

Archived